Forced unwanted ad

Good morning,
I am not happy ay all (understatement) to see in the upper right corner of my DTP 3.6.1, in bold, a forced ad (encl) which is totally unwelcome.
How can I get quickly definitely rid of it ?
What have I to do to not receive any more these ads at all ?
In addition (i) clicking the ad opens the the DT 3 page of your site, an app which I already use for years and, therefore what it is used for (ii) there is a spelling mistake in french.

That is not an ad. It is letting you know the trial is going to expire soon. So you need to purchase it or activate your license.

Also, you could not have been running DEVONthink 3 ā€for yearsā€. It has only been out for a little over a year.

1 Like

I found the trick.
For an unknown reason my registration details suddenly vanished and I do not understand why and how it happened. I have had no sudden breakdown of my iMac, downloaded nothing neither from Apple or for any third party for a while except this a.m., the version 3.6.1 after having seen the bothering ad.
With no license detail I was nevertheless able to d/l the update and run it with no problem and ā€˜myā€™ DTP was working perfectly well, it was business as usual.
I re-entered the license details, the app disappeared at last.
Calling it an ad or not, I donā€™t care, you play on words, for me it is a form of an ad and, as a matter of principle, I do not want forced ad at all, inasmuch that it seems that I have no option to have it disappearing from the app and, I have to check, but I think it is unlawful in France according to the law called RGPD (ask your good translator about it).
For sake of clarity, I bought and earlier version of your app first on 13-10-16, then updated it to 3.0 on 21-9-19. Of course I have all 2 license numbers for your perusal if need be (on a private mail).
The matter is closed for me.

This is extremely odd - but just now my copy of DevonThink 3.6.1 (running on macOS 11.0.1) has done exactly the same thing (i.e., shown ā€œBuy now!ā€”29 Days Leftā€). Needless to say, I have had a fully licensed version of DevonThink 3 since it was launched.

In case itā€™s relevant, Iā€™d used it earlier, minimised it and when I used it just now the warning was there. All the licence details are blank so Iā€™ll re-enter them. Most mysteriousā€¦ Iā€™ve not updated with DevonThink or macOS at all in the past few days.

Edit: all was fine once Iā€™d re-entered the licence details.

Stephen

1 Like

What kind of Mac do you use?

iMac with Catalina 10.15.7 (not moved yet to Big Sur).

16" 2019 MacBook Pro, 2TB SSD (with much spare space) and 32MB of RAM.

Stephen

It was only ā€œforcedā€ because there was a problem on your computer, which it alerted you to so you could fix it before the app ceased to work.

(I assume you mean ā€œthe ad disappearedā€ not ā€œthe app disappearedā€.)

So you did have a way of making it go away.

Sounds like much ado about nothing.

4 Likes

Merely entering the license information again will alleviate this.

Not at all, it was a problem with your handling of these sort of things, not my computer, that too easy an explanation. Who are you to make such a gratuitous peremptory affirmation ?
Anyway, that the end of it.

Seeing as @TJLuoma is a friendly user of this forum and - I assume - not an administrator of your Mac, I find that rather unlikely. But what a wonderful world we all live in - despite your being, in my opinion, thoroughly unpleasant in your utterings, you have received help from 2 members of the DEVONtech team, one member of the forum, and an additional explanation from another. And every one of those people will be pleased to have been able to assist you. Enjoy your day.

14 Likes

Christian- Also happened to me yesterday - Iā€™m also on using Catalina 10.15.7, except on a MacBook Pro. (In case thatā€™s helpful to knowā€¦ but not a big deal to reenter my license #.)

Thanks! And yes, just re-entering the license should be sufficient to fix this issue.

Just a guy on the Internet with the ability to understand how things actually work, instead of being determined to imagine that the world is plotting against you personally at every turn.

Regardless, Iā€™m glad you were able to fix the issue and hope that it does not reoccur.

3 Likes

I also got a surprise when my MacBook apparently ā€œforgotā€ the registration of DT. Not sure what triggered it. Iā€™m on Big Sur, MBP 13" which is about three years old. It happened yesterday, but doesnā€™t seem to have happened on my iMac (so far). But my iMac has been running continually for a couple of days while my MBP had been shut down and booted up again.

We did some house cleaning a few days ago in the backend which might have caused some devices being detached from their license that shouldnā€™t have. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences.

10 Likes

Thanks for that: reassuring that I did nothing stupid my end! :grin:

Stephen

3 Likes

Great to know. I had the same issue. I had to add my registration again to get it fixed.

I donā€™t know how widespread this issue is, but Iā€™m seeing the same message.

(Well, mine says ā€œ22 days left.ā€)

I typed in my name and pasted in my registration code, and all is well.

See the post aboveā€¦