Function: [x] Automatic search all found documents

After a Boolean search, each PDF must be clicked individually to trigger the search in the individual document.

I could imagine a small box that you can click on (see heading) that performs these operations automatically. I am aware that such a function could lead to performance problems with large databases with many search results.

The advantage would be that I could analyze the first results of my search while Devonthink automatically searches the next PDFs and provides the results.
So I have to wait every time I want to see the results in the next PDF.

What Boolean search?

My favorite search operator example: Improv NEAR/20 Aesth**

If the view/edit pane is visible, the active search is applied to the selected document. So what you’re asking for already works.

This symbol means that the search is being restarted. This also happens if the search has already been running for 2 seconds.

I would like the search to continue automatically in the main search window for all documents found. So that I don’t have to click through each document to repeat the search in each individual document.

Have you read any of the documentation?

The Search inspector is for in-document searches. If you want to search for items in the databases, use the toolbar search field.

1 Like

Bullfrog,

when I do a global search in DEVONthink, with or without Boolean operators, relevant PDFs are displayed. To see the search results in the inspector, I select the documents one by one. So far, so good.

But: Each click on a PDF triggers a new search in this document, even though it has already been included in the global search. This significantly slows down the workflow for many search results.

It would be more efficient if DEVONthink automatically performed the search in the background for every PDF found. This would make the results available immediately, without the time delay that occurs with every manual click.

I am aware that this can be computationally intensive. Therefore, my suggestion is to implement an option that enables this optimized search function.

I have read the manual or searched with ASK, there is no indication that my workflow is wrong.

You said in another post three years ago that there is no way to speed up this search. My suggestion is aimed precisely at this acceleration. That’s why it’s a feature request.

I work a lot with Devonthink and spend a fair amount of time on this conversation here. I would like to receive responses that indicate that my proposal has been considered and that my request has been understood.