Getting URLs into DTTG - still bugs [solved, beside WebArchives]

Hmmm.

No.

iPadOS 14.6

But my DTTG shows 3.1.1 (17082)

As I update my Apps several times daily, this seems to be the latest version.

My mistake, sorry - 3.1.1 is what I meant (3.7.2 is DT)

No problem :sweat_smile:

To be honest, I would be most happy, if drag and drop would work cleanly.

This is, because it is MUCH faster to get URLs from Safari into DTTG categories and allows to just use existing folders.

Sharing to DTTG is valuable, of course, but it is much faster and there better suited for some few URLs, esp. if you want to tag them.

But of course it would be best when both things could finally just WORK!

So, what is causing the behaviour to differ between our two devices. I’m using an iPad Pro 11” 2nd gen. Presumably either different models behaviour differently, or a piece of software you have installed is interfering with the behaviour of DTTG? I know too little about how software registers it’s capabilities to the OS to be able to usefully suggest whether or not that could be a cause of the problem…

I doubt whether this actually is a DTTG bug. I think it’s some kind of iOS issue.

If you search for this issue, you’ll find multiple people complaining about icons that have gone missing in iOS 14. I don’t experience a problem alike yours at all.

A similar problem cropped up on macOS; I wonder whether they are related? Do you use DT on macOS? If so, you could adapt the solution I posted in the linked thread to deal with any items called “Pasted Bookmark”. Not a solution maybe, but an automated workaround.

I recently removed DTTG from all my devices and reinstalled everthing, also I totally remade and split my databases from a remote location.

So, everything should be in the best condition.

Any way to “force” registering DTTG again with Safari / the Share sheet?

I have DTTG installed on 3 devices:

iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation
iPad Air 3 (this is what I am currently using)
iPhone 6s

I am going to check all of them and report back!

Certainly worth doing; I’ve just checked my iPhone and see the same behaviour there as on my iPad - sharing with DTTG is available for “automatic” or “PDF” but not for “WebArchive”

My iPhone 6s behaves like your devices!

PDF and Automatic work!

But not WebArchive…

Presumably DTTG isn’t registered as an appropriate handler with iOS; @eboehnisch ?

And my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation also shows this behavior.

That would explain why all three devices cannot share WebArchives from Safari to DTTG.

I seem to remember that I used this earlier… maybe with DTTG 2.x?

And my iPad Air 3 has more serious problems… as it cannot handle the “Automatic” version.

Edit: I already fear that I need to reinstall DTTG again :sweat_smile:

I actually wonder whether you need to go further than that and reinstall the iPad, putting back DTTG at an early stage and then watching to see whether anything else you install disrupts the behaviour between Safari and DTTG. But as I said, I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable in the workings of iOS to judge how likely that actually is. I grew up with Windows (after OS/2, that is), where in the day such interactions were highly probable.

I simply cannot do that.

But if there is no other way to force this registration, I would of course reinstall DTTG again…

Have you restarted your iPad? I’ve read from top and I think you haven’t done… 99% of strange behavior in iOS (and macOS) is solved doing a Windows :sweat_smile: (Restart).

1 Like

We can reproduce the issue here and will investigate. Technically, DEVONthink To Go registers itself as “accept everything” so there must be more to it when it comes to web archives.

3 Likes

Many many thanks :hugs::hugs::hugs:

So I will wait before I try a new install.

A reboot, even that hard-reboot (press two buttons until the Apple appears) did not help!
I still can not share URLs or WebArchives at all on the Air 3.

Would this also fix the problem with drag and drop and the “Pasted Bookmark” name?

If I add an URL to Safari Favorites, it knows and offers the proper title of the webpage - it would be great when drag-and-drop bookmarks would have this name too… like when shared to DTTG (if that worked)

Unfortunately, after checking with our developer, we have tried for a while to get web archives from Safari. What ever we put into the property list that defines which file types the app can except, Safari only delivers the URL and never any web archive.

What does work is to share with the Files app and select DEVONthink To Go as a destination there.

Hi, regarding not seeing DDDG in the Share menu, just out of curiosity, try to force-restart your iPad. I’ve noticed that ever time I install an update I experience the same thing. If I force-restart my iPad the Share menu reappears. FWIW

Good luck