Has anybody read Kourosh Dini's book on DEVONthink

@R_Barre Do take your time learning how to do palettes in KM. A good set of actions in a DT3 dedicated palette will be a life changer for your workflow.

1 Like

Even moreso if you use that along with a Stream Deck.

Do you have one or two pics to share? I never used one.

(One of the reasons is that I tend to work wherever my mood strikes: at the desk, on the sofa, standing up by a shelf, at the kitchen’s table… I’m a nomadic researcher.)

2 Likes

Is each key dedicated to one KM action? Or you have one dedicated key to KM that opens a set of KM actions?

You can program it basically however you wish - the icons and actions of the keys are fully software controlled.

The most typical arrangement is to set up KM so that every application has its own palette. Then any time you switch to a new application on your Mac, the keys Stream Deck keys change to each be an action you have programmed related to that application.

But you can also set up submenus, nested submenus, and basically any other arrangement you can imagine and program.

1 Like

Now I’m cooking by gas :grin:

3 Likes

thx for sharing the screenshot @christinejorja!

wondering if the open in ia writer , open in PDF expert and show in finder macros aren’t based on @Kourosh work, would you mind sharing? Or at least give a clue how you wrote them? Is that AppleScript code?

thx

Z

if anyone else is interested, used this to open with specific apps

thx all

1 Like

Those are @Kourosh’s scripts. Very much a work in progress for me.

Just got the book and demo KM. Struggling with this concept and setup. Fell at the first fence were it stated installing scripts and macros that came with the book. No details on how i actually do that. Might need a few re reads i think.

Import the Scripts by using the highlighted option in the screenshot. That will import them ‘disabled’ (greyed out). Right click on the Macro Group to enable them.

Screenshot of Keyboard Maestro (07-06-2020, 7-35-59 AM)

What I can tell you is that it is $35 US for an electronic copy - a bit too steep for me to consider a purchase.

Hei @Scollops I suggest you to dig into this resource
https://wiki.nikitavoloboev.xyz/macos/macos-apps/keyboard-maestro/km-macros
I think it is great to get started. I used his library as my foundation as I started with KM.
If you are into Markdown, this is great: http://rocketink.net/2013/01/markdown-maestro-guide.html

3 Likes

Thanks all …appreciate the links @jooz

1 Like

Not to derail, but I love LaunchBar for ‘open with’. Set up instant-send to double-⌥, and you can pick a file in DEVONthink, double-tap ⌥, they type a couple of letters of what you want to open it with. It’s glorious (and LaunchBar has a ludicrous amount of useful other functionality for a very low price)

3 Likes

Any idea how can I get this stylesheet for markdown mentioned in the book?

1 Like

I have to agree. I am 73+ and on a fixed income. I use DEVONThink for cataloging research articles and information I collect. I write and collaborate with other academics on articles, but these are generally unpaid or, at most, offer a stipend. Glad the book is helping so many and I’ll certainly consider buying it if I manage to accumulate something over what I need to support my family.

I got a lot of value out of his OmniFocus book but can’t say the same for this one. I guess if you know nothing about Zettelkasten or DEVONthink then you may benefit. There is a lot less material in this book than Creating Flow with OmniFocus.

Perhaps you’ll find something useful here. Just be very careful with those macros as many of them contain scripts that could damage your files.

(If, for any reason, the above link stops working, it will be available here)

6 Likes