Has anybody read Kourosh Dini's book on DEVONthink

Hit the mother load there! Thank you for sharing that. Way more than I’ll ever need but it does give me some ideas on what I can do.

1 Like

Where can the book be obtained? Thanks.

Scroll down for his DEVONthink book.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the link.

Yes, purchased the book and I’m 60% the way thought it and I highly recommend it. I’m a DevonThink newbie and it’s been a great help. I even purchased his book on using OmniFocus and love it.

3 Likes

Don’t forget “Taking Control of DEVONthink Pro 3” available free at https://www.devontechnologies.com/support/download/extras?id=download-extras and DEVONthink’s manual, which is pretty good too. Also free.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you!

Thank you @Bernardo_V. That is an incredible collection.
I just learnt that I can point with devonthink links to lines in the text thanks to your scripts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @tarunds - I just sent out an update yesterday that includes the stylesheet you mention.

2 Likes

I just read it. I did not realize before I got it that it was focused on the Zettlekasten methodology. I would say I have a mild interest in that system but not sure it is something I would want to do and not ready to jump into it now. However, it was still well worth it to me for the Keyboard Maestro examples (and the nice fancy note formatting) - I have set up a few of them already and have ideas for others. (I read it mostly in the car on a road trip with a MacBook Air handy). I have Keyboard Maestro but just starting to really learn how to use it and reading use cases with examples is a good way to learn and spark ideas. Also, learned about some functionality in DevonThink 3 that I was not aware of so it’s all good. There is a lot of material specific to the Zettlekasten think - he calls it a slip-box or notebox, which is geared toward notes you create yourself vs third party reference material. So keep that in mind but I enjoyed it thoroughly and also have a better understanding of that organization system, markdown, and other included topics.

I have just bought the book and am about 1/5 in. I have read Dini’s other work and consider him one of the best writers on the combined use of technology and workflow. I am a 29 year academic, long time DT user as well.

I do have one almost embarrassing newbie question. I had not used links before. I have set up the Wikilinks section exactly as described in preferences, but they don’t seem to be working. Have gone over them multiple times, tried to insert an item link with square brackets and the insert menu also doesn’t give me that option. Can someone more familiar tell me if I am missing something? Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use “wiki links”?
In that case you must select a middle option in the menu - “Square brackets” and not the “Names & Aliases” one. In that case, DT will start recognising markdown-style wikilinks with [[]].

Thanks. My understanding was that “names and aliases” should work with multi-markdown notes. Is that wrong?

Names and Aliases will work with Markdown documents to WikiLink existing items.