How do I get the direct URL of a document via the server web interface?

Well I think that’s mostly true but a bit more nuanced.

Dropbox, GDrive etc give the option of sharing a link that works for anyone with the link, or the option of a link that requires a password or other identity confirmation.

Either option would be better than the current situation; both options would be superb. If we had to choose only one of these I am not sure which most people would prefer.

You are talking about a completely different mechanism, unrelated to / incomparable with websharing. Websharing is nothing like Dropbox, Google Drive, and the like.

In this situation, I want to create a spreadsheet for team members with links (to individual) database in order to access the authoritative version of (many) databases and then download them to their desktop.

No functionality on the server itself would be assumed or needed. We simply have many versions of these databases we have shared during processing, and it would be helpful for the handful of us (working remotely)
to have access to the finished versions.

Also, it allows us to create smaller, focused databases so that we can create (on our own desktops) complex searches across all (over 200) smaller databases.

Does that make sense?
Obviously, we could use google drive, but we have been using that to exchanged archived databases and having a different platform might actually be desirable. Of course, it would be nice to see some metadata before downloading, Most of our (far-flung) team-members are already acquainted with the web-interface and have guest-like (view) access. If we do go small, we think this might work as a way of ensuring that search each member can open and search “All databases” and that will be consistent for each of us. —zoepster

1 Like

Whatever the underlying software engineering might be, I am talking about link secured at minimum by a UUID in the URL which permits downloading a file or folder. And ideally a mechanism to also allow uploading to the same folder.

Not only would this facilitate the scenarios already discussed, but also it would open up an entire universe of web automation utilizing the content of DT3 databases. There are immense use cases for web automation which can easily be facilitated by a webhook to Zapier or Make.com.

–somehow lost bluefrog
In this situation, I want to create a spreadsheet for team members with links (to individual) database in order to access the authoritative version of (many) databases and then download them to their desktop.

No functionality on the server itself would be assumed or needed. We simply have many versions of these databases we have shared during processing, and it would be helpful for the handful of us (working remotely)
to have access to the finished versions.

Also, it allows us to create smaller, focused databases so that we can create (on our own desktops) complex searches across all (over 200) smaller databases.

Does that make sense?
Obviously, we could use google drive, but we have been using that to exchanged archived databases and having a different platform might actually be desirable. Of course, it would be nice to see some metadata before downloading, Most of our (far-flung) team-members are already acquainted with the web-interface and have guest-like (view) access. If we do go small, we think this might work as a way of ensuring that search each member can open and search “All databases” and that will be consistent for each of us. —zoepster

Are you referring to putting the .dtBase2 files in Google Drive? If so, it is well known and documented in many places you should not put DEVONthink databases in any cloud-synced location or you could irreparably damage them.

Open a support ticket so I can get a clearer view of the situation.

It’s not so simple to implement as it is to imagine. Again, you’re describing functions outside the scope of the websharing and the internal webserver. Development would have to assess the feasibility and broader appeal of the suggestion.

1 Like