How do I get the direct URL of a document via the server web interface?

That is certainly helpful - thanks. But any way to get rid of the login screen entirely for a selected database and just have the links work directly?

1. There is no built-in URL access. You’d have to cobble together the URLs at this time. And I suspect access via the URL is not going to work in the way you want it to.
  2. No, it’s not going to give access to the database without the login screen, even for pressing the Guest button.

Access via the URL does work really well - including from outside my network

Can you clarify what URL and the kind of access you have?

I am referring to a URL to a Group in my database with this format - it works in and out of my network - if you try it now it will ask for a password. For those that have the password stored in the browser, it goes directly to the list of items in the Group.

https://173.71.187.69:54954/view?id=BB4A6FF5-004E-4EC5-9131-CFB1961E23DC

which (with password) shows:

What would be really nice would be to go from URL to final search result simply in 1 click for anyone with whom I share the link (for items which are not security sensitive)

This is great! I am gradually getting closer to what I need. I can now add direct links into documents and get straight to the documents. Much better than going through the normal DT interface.

I see that the web server supports:
see
download
search
view

Are there any other verbs it supports? For instance is there an upload capability that we could use via url? And, is there anyway to configure the server to be a webdav server?

Much better than going through the normal DT interface.

For your particular instance, perhaps.

For instance is there an upload capability that we could use via url?

No.

And, is there anyway to configure the server to be a webdav server?

No.

Yes, absolutely right. For the situation of being able to link documents directly into web based tools, having a direct URL is very helpful.

I am surprised that there is no webdav interface. It seems like a useful thing to add. It would give us additional ways of integrating other tools. Might be worth adding to the development backlog.

I am surprised that there is no webdav interface. It seems like a useful thing to add. It would give us additional ways of integrating other tools.

This is the first and only request I’ve ever seen.

Might be worth adding to the development backlog.

One more item in a list longer than our lifetimes :stuck_out_tongue:

I too would like to utilize direct links into Devonthink. I have documents and other web based applications that need to link to my files in DT. I am looking for solutions to do this.
So if there is a way to have the DT server serve documents based on a fixed URL that would solve my use case perfectly! Or give some API to access DT and I write a web server, but thats a lot of work.

@cgrunenberg - Any chance to include in the webserver this feature request to right-click and get a URL that will allow web access to an item?

Related suggestion - in DT3 desktop, is there a way to right-click and have “Copy Web Link” similar to the current “Copy Item Link.” Perhaps this could be configurable to define the prefix to be used given the web URL of the particular web server? Or might this be scriptable if not a built-in feature?

Any chance to include in the webserver this feature request to right-click and get a URL that will allow web access to an item?

A some point in the future it may be added.

2 Likes

For my use case, I’d be happy to just be able to retrieve an Item Link while using the server web interface (which I then save in another app).

Most web server users do not have DT3 desktop installed so an Item Link would not be helpful.

Is there any new progress on this function? I hope there will be a copy URL function.

1 Like