How do I go directly to an item within DEVONThink with an Item Link?

I know that clicking an Item Link outside DT will bring me directly to the file within DT. However, sometimes I want to create a connection between two items within DT.

Let’s say I have PDF#1 and PDF#2. I copy the Item Link of PDF#1 and paste that Item Link into the finder comments of PDF#2. Later, let’s say I open PDF#2 and see the Item Link to PDF#1 in the finder comments. What’s the easiest way to go directly to that Item Link within DT?

Item Links don’t seem to bring you to their parent item when you paste them in the search bar of DT, and because the finder comments are in plain text, the Item Links aren’t clickable there. I could take the extra step of copying the Item Link, pasting it in a Word document, turning it into a hyperlink, and then clicking on it, but I’m assuming there’s a simpler way. Is there some place I can paste Item Links within DT that will automatically take me to the item?

(Also, please let me know if there are better ways to create a direct connection between items within DT besides pasting Item Links in the finder comments or annotations.)

Thanks!

Are you running the Pro or Server edition?

The Shortcuts app is handy in this scenario. Create a Shortcut with these steps (“actions”), and perhaps assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

Triple click on the finder comments section, press command-C, press the custom keyboard shortcut, and the item links in the section will open. This would also work if there are multiple links.

(You can use AppleScript too, but Shortcuts is more friendly to those with zero scripting experience.)

I’m using the Pro edition.

You can set up custom metadata with URL data type and paste an item link into it within DEVONthink.

This is a really good option to know about, thanks!

See Make PopClip open x-devonthink links