Make PopClip open x-devonthink links

Hi there, for those who use PopClip here’s a nice tip to expand the built-in “Open link” extension. This could be especially useful if you’ve stored x-devonthink links in a record’s finder comment. To make PopClip recognize DEVONthink links

• Quit PopClip

• Run this in Terminal.app: defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip OtherURLSchemes -array x-devonthink x-devonthink-item x-devonthink-smartgroup x-devonthink-smartrule

• Open PopClip

That’s it.

Click if you want to add other URL schemes

It’s possible to register any app that provides links. To get the URL scheme of an app copy a link and paste it somewhere. Everything before “//:” is the URL scheme. The easiest way to register it is to simply add it to the command above.

That’s it if you register all apps at once.

But if you missed an app and want to add its URL scheme after you’ve run the command above you have to register the DEVONthink URL schemes again together with the one you want to add, otherwise they will be overwritten.

To get all registered apps run defaults read com.pilotmoon.popclip OtherURLSchemes. In this example I’ve already added Tinderbox. The ouput is an array

(
    "x-devonthink",
    "x-devonthink-item",
    "x-devonthink-smartgroup",
    "x-devonthink-smartrule",
    tinderbox
)

from which you have to copy the entries and paste each one followed by a space (maybe someone can tell how to output as a space separated string?). It’s important that you remove the quotes around the DEVONthink URL schemes, otherwise PopClip will not recognize them.

To add e.g. OmniFocus after you’ve already added DEVONthink and Tinderbox the command would be defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip OtherURLSchemes -array x-devonthink x-devonthink-item x-devonthink-smartgroup x-devonthink-smartrule tinderbox omnifocus

(Sorry if this is too obvious but I can tell from experience how hard those things can be for a Terminal newbie (like me). In any case don’t forget to “re-add” DEVONthink :wink: )

6 Likes

Excellent tip @pete31 :clap::clap:

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you and it works.
Speaking of PopClip, I wish the developer will have sometime to fix the highlight extension in DT3…

1 Like

Here’s a working Highlight extension modification

This is perfect! Thank you very much!