How do we delete Version 2 after upgrade to V3?

Blockquote
I would move the Cloudy folder to DEVONthink 3 if sync hadn’t already been set up in 3…

What does that mean ? If I open up a database synced in iCloud with DT3(but created in DT2), I can see the sync in the preference panel. The database sync was setup in DT2. Does that mean if I delete DT2, this sync will disappear?

No. DEVONthink 3 has its own sync settings.

Can you summarize when/how it does/doesn’t matter if the Cloudy folder is moved? Presumably okay not to move if not syncing with v2? Thanks!

• It could be moved if someone had been running the beta.
  • If you are still running v2, then no you shouldn’t move it.
  • However, on an new upgrade or purchase DEVONthink 3 should migrate the sync settings. It’s easiest to check the Preferences > Sync after launching 3.
1 Like

Sync settings did not transfer after I upgraded yesterday. Suggestions?

Are you running DEVONthink 2 still?

Yes. I am not about to mess with my business databases until I am sure I have things sorted on DT3.

You could do this…

1. Quit DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2.
  2. In the Finder, hold the Option key and choose Go > Library .
  3. In the Application Support folder, move the Cloudy folder from the DEVONthink Pro 2 folder to the DEVONthink 3 folder, overwriting the existing items, if prompted.
  4. Launch DEVONthink 3.

However, you should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 simultaneously.

1 Like

Thanks. Moving the cloudy folder seems to be doing the trick.

For what it’s worth, I poked around a bit more in detail and noticed the DT2 Cloudy folder is an alias, so there is only one.

I’ve gone through all of the above steps (I think), but still have DTP2 showing up in the Services menu:

How do I get rid of these?

Is the system trash empty
Did you reboot the machine?

PS: We don’t put the services in, and Apple doesn’t provide a user-friendly way to clean them out either.

1 Like

I did reboot, but didn’t delete the trash. I’ll try it on my home machine when I’m back at home, but I just went through the steps here on my work machine, taking care to delete the trash and reboot, and the services for DTP2 are gone. Thanks.

When I followed these instructions everything was fine.

BUT THEN I realized that my custom templates were gone.

I was able to find them in the trash.

The point here is be careful when removing ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2

I have yet to try them in DT3. Assuming they’ll work.

Point being – you might want to be careful before deleting this folder.

Good afternoon
Bought DT_3 today, want to remove DTP_2. Being not too expert, I am not sure to understand all what was written in these exchanges, my simple question is : shall I merely abide by the attached check-list ? Thanks b4hand.

@BigFish:
At a bare minimum, you can merely delete the DEVONthink 2 application and reboot the machine.

@kfast:
Welcome!
Perhaps we could transition custom resources on launch, but Development would have to assess this.

Thank you. Thus I understand that the reply to my question is ‘no’.
To run DT_3, I need to keep the ‘DEVONThink Pro 2’ folder in ‘Application support’ as well as all others corresponding folders/files spread here and there and not remove DTP_2 as per the check-list. I will obviously stick to that, but I am asking myself what if I change my Mac… Guess there is a procedure somewhere on your site to that effect.

You definitely don’t “need to keep the DEVONthink Pro 2 folder to run DEVONthink 3”.

As @kfast mentioned, if you have some custom resources (templates, scripts, etc.) you’ve added, you’d need to migrate those manually. Otherwise, here is the current list for a full uninstall…

To do a deeper clean when moving from DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2 to DEVONthink 3…
Note: While it is not a prerequisite, we strongly recommend making sure your proper primary backups are current before starting this process.

Trash the following files and folders, noting the tilde (~) signifies the User Library:

• DEVONthink Pro (Office) application
  • ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2.*
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/Scripts/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific workflows in ~/Library/Workflows/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/PDF Services/
  • DEVONthink related Bookmarklets from your web browser
  • The Inbox in the sidebar of your Finder windows
  • Delete the DEVONthink Sorter from System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items , if present.

Then reboot the machine.

Good afternoon,
Did it first on ‘seat n°2’ (MacBookAir), made some testing, then did it on ‘seat n°1’ (iMac) after backup of course, and… everything went fine and all work well (so far) !
Thanks for your assistance.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: