How i can move a document into group with keyboard shortcut?

Hi

I need oftly the “move to…” feature, but i try to use the keyboard whenever is possible, because its more efficent. But, i don’t have found a way to to this without mouse. Is this right?

My wish is a shortcut, where a list alike the one with from the dialog with right-mouse-click (see attached image)

Is it possible?
2019-01-02_11-23-28.jpeg

In Help > Support Assistant > Install Extras > Scripts you will find a script “Move with Keyboard”. Install that script, and it will appear in Scripts > Data as “Move”. Because that script now appears in the menu bar as a command, you can give “Move” a keyboard shortcut in System Preferences. (Instructions here.)

This script uses the global “Groups and Tags” display to show you all the groups in open databases – the scripts intent is to provide the broadest scope possible for cleaning up the global inbox, for example.

If you want merely to access the smaller “favorites” list which is accessed via “Move” in the contextual menu, then you would need to use a utility like BetterTouchTool, which is capable of assigning shortcuts or trackpad gestures to contextual menu commands in apps.

Otherwise, at this time, there is no method like the one you suggested.

Perfect… thats the solution! Thank you very much and happy 2019!

When I access “Move” in the contextual menu, I dont get a smaller subset of “favorites”… I see all groups from every open database. Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks.

Have you specified any Favorites?

Yes, screenshot of Favs attached. All of my databases inboxes are marked as favorites.

When I select the Move script, a dialog box of every database and group pops up.

Thanks.

Previously you said…

This has nothing to do with the Move script, so what you’re seeing when you run the script is the expected behavior.

Has the script moved?

There’s no such script available in the support assistant of version 3. Use e.g. Data > Move To… instead.

I only see these options in the Data Menu 07

I have found this Move items with the keyboard between databases (re-imagined) though

It works alright. I really wish that there was a way to say that I am focusing on processing my inbox. That could open up the possibility for assigning keystrokes to move commands and tags like the old iPhoto keyword window. I’m not getting faster at moving things into DevonThink. I realize that, in time, I won’t be pulling so much in at once but I plan to process enough that I will be at it for months even if I could speed things up.

Letting us set key commands for when the group selector is up might be enough

It’s located in the Data menu, not in the Scripts > Data menu.

Thank you! That is an improvement over the script.

It would still be nice to be able to type a ‘1’ or something when that window is on screen for the favorites or the top ten in the list or something.

So, this is an older thread but something has changed re: the solution. My goal is to have a keyboard shortcut such that if I highlight an item in the InBox, I can hit the shortcut to move the selected item to a specific pre-defined Group. Although this thread indicated a Script called DATA MOVE, there is no such item in the Script’s Data menu.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Welcome @Jeff839

You are referring to scripts from years ago working with DEVONthink 2.x. Also it was mentioned above the script is not available in DEVONthink 3.

• Have you explored using the Data > Move To popover?

• Have you explored the See Also & Classify inspector and the Data > Classify command?

• Are you referring to dealing with only one specific group as the destination?

Thanks for the insight - being new to DT its hard to figure out what of the online help articles are current.

Re: Data > Move To… command,
are you talking about the window that pops up when I hit that? Unless I’m missing something that still doesn’t give me a quick keyboard shortcut to move the item to my desired folder…

Seems like this should be a simple thing to do :worried:

Re: trying See Also & Classify inspector, that sometimes does show the desired target group, but not always. (If I try the Classify toolbar button, usually it is not showing any Group name and only generates an error in the Log.) Is there some way to “advise” the AI as to what choices are best? But even if it put my desired Group at the top of the list there’s no apparent keyboard shortcut for it.

You’re welcome.

Re: Data > Move To… command,
are you talking about the window that pops up when I hit that? Unless I’m missing something that still doesn’t give me a quick keyboard shortcut to move the item to my desired folder…

You’re not going to have a single keystroke unless you scripted it and clearly defined the situation.

Seems like this should be a simple thing to do :worried:

You haven’t provided enough information to determine what may be simple or not.

But even if it put my desired Group at the top of the list there’s no apparent keyboard shortcut for it.

Read above.

Is there some way to “advise” the AI as to what choices are best?

Read the Help > Tutorials > Understanding the AI.

I sometimes use Control-Command-M to move documents to specific (or new) groups.

That 3-key “shortcut” shown on the Menu → Data → Move to … which is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

That being said, I mostly–since it works so well–use the Ctrl-C to move a file short-cut which is presented in the “See Also and Classify” Inspector, available via Ctrl-S or Menu → Tools → Inspectors → See Also and Classify.

OK, perhaps I should explain my workflow, and DT may directly support it in a away I haven’t noticed:

Typically, reading an email or a web page that I want to save, I hit CMD-P for the Print dialog, then again CMD-P for a system-wide shortcut that I created into the print dialog’s PDF menu to the “Save PDF to DEVONthink 3”. That creates the document into DT’s InBox, just as I want

Later, I’ll go through the DT InBox to decide what action I need to take on each item ,which may just be filing it into an appropriate group. It would save time if, while looking at one of the items in the InBox, I could have Shortcut Keys for the one or two Groups are are typically the target. Currently, I have to drag from the InBox to the Group — unless the AI is right on the guess and I could just hit Ctrl-C to move the item into the Group (but the AI is, as I’ve only been using this a couple of weeks, not yet all that great at suggestions.).

Since the AI is correct only some of the time, and if I just try to hit the Classify button and it goes to the wrong group, a CMD-Z does not put it back into the InBoX so I can try again — I have to go hunting for where it was put.

So — there’s my general workflow and my issues — perhaps a better way to ask for the best way to accomplish it.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Why aren’t you using the browser extension to clip to PDF?

And read the Help > Tutorials > Handling Email tutorial.