How to download a database to a new computer from a Sync Store

Is it possible to download databases to a new computer that are stored from a Sync Store?

My SyncStore is housed in my Dropbox account, as are all the files that are indexed in my databases.

Sure. All you have to do is to add the sync store (exactly same type, name and encryption key) to Preferences > Sync. Afterwards the remote databases should be listed in the right pane and can be imported.

1 Like

Thank you.

That worked — however, because my databases were indexed (not imported) on my other computer, how do I duplicate the same set up (i.e., indexing the files that are in my Dropbox) in my new computer ?

I followed the steps provided in your reply (which imported the files stored from Store Sync housed in my Dropbox) but that seems to have duplicated the databases as separate new files altogether on my new computer’s hard disk.

Now that the databases from the Store Sync are imported in my new computer, do I follow these steps in order to index the databases as I did in my old computer? How to index imported files

I realize all this is probably basic – but I just want to make sure I build the infrastructure right at this crucial early stage, and especially because the files I’m trying to mirror on both computers are stored in the same Dropbox account.

Files/folders located in the Dropbox folder should bei downloaded by the Dropbox.app, DEVONthink does not update this folder to avoid conflicts with this app.

Is your Dropbox folder in the same location on both machines? Typically it’s ~/Dropbox.

Yes, both computers are linked to the same Dropbox account. And I am trying to achieve a setup where Devonthink in both computers mirror each other identically (in which databases consist of files from Dropbox folders that are indexed, not imported)

Yes, both computers are linked to the same Dropbox account.

I understand that but where is the Dropbox folder set on each machine?

Thanks for allowing me to clarify. The dropbox folder in each machine has the location

Macintosh HD > Users > PJN > Dropbox

No worries!
And that’s good.

As @cgrunenberg mentioned, Dropbox is responsible for the syncing of its content. But having the Dropbox folder in the same location is required to avoid having missing files, so you’re good there.

that seems to have duplicated the databases as separate new files altogether on my new computer’s hard disk.

Can you clarify this, perhaps with a screen capture?

Glad to hear I did the Dropbox setup correctly.

What I mean by having duplicated the database (I mean it to be singular , not plural) on the second machine is that it created a new Devonthink database file on Macintosh HD > Users > PJN > Databases

I now realize perhaps this is necessary so that I can run on my second machine the database that is synced and whose files are stored in Dropbox and indexed on my other computer.

Let me know if this is a structurally sound set up.

The database, as I type this, is currently being downloaded from the Dropbox sync store, hence:

I now realize perhaps this is necessary so that I can run on my second machine the database that is synced…

That is exactly how sync works.

and whose files are stored in Dropbox and indexed on my other computer.

Yes, but the second Mac is not referring to the first machine’s database or indexing. It is pointing to the files in its own Dropbox folder.

Keep the machines separate in your mind, as they are independent outside the syncing. If you delete a database on Mac A, it has no effect on B. If you create a new database on Mac B, Mac A won’t have or know anything about it unless you synced from B and imported to A.

PS: I see you have an encrypted database in the screen capture. Just making sure that you intentionally imported the database as an encrypted one.

This is a helpful reminder; thank you.

On the first computer, I encrypted my database. When I downloaded the database from the Dropbox Sync Store on the second computer, I followed @cgrunenberg 's advice “to add the sync store (exactly same type, name and encryption key).” Here I assumed that in doing so I’d have set in place the same security measure on my second computer.

Did I do something wrong with regard to encryption to cause a number of folders to go missing after I finished downloading the database from my Dropbox Sync Store ?

Thanks for guiding me through this initial set up.

You’re welcome.

Did I do something wrong with regard to encryption to cause a number of folders to go missing after I finished downloading the database from my Dropbox Sync Store ? (see screenshot below)

Is this a brand new machine you’re setting up Dropbox on?
Those little cloud icons are showing files are not downloaded to the local machine. If Dropbox is still syncing to the machine, this would definitely explain it.

Look at the database on the first machine. Does it have a little key icon to the right of the database’s name as shown in your screen capture here?

Problem solved: I clicked on “Update Indexed Items” on the second, new machine, and that generated all the missing files and folders. To make sure the set up works, I edited a PDF on the first machine, to see if changes on that document would reflect on the second machine – thankfully it did, and almost instantaneously.

The little key icon appears only on the second machine; it does not appear on the first. None of this seems to be causing any problems so far. Should I anticipate any ?

Problem solved: I clicked on “Update Indexed Items” on the second, new machine, and that generated all the missing files and folders.

Yes, that can sometimes be required when changing the Dropbox folders outside DEVONthink. This is to try to avoid collisions with what Dropbox is doing.

The little key icon appears only on the second machine; it does not appear on the first. None of this seems to be causing any problems so far. Should I anticipate any ?

Yes, I would anticipate issues.
What size did you specify when you imported it as an encrypted database?

I specified it at 999 GB. I don’t anticipate to reach that anytime soon, as currently my database files only amount to 10GB. (And probably would create a whole new separate database for other files and projects.) . If exceeding the 999 GB is not an issue, is all a green light ? (Fingers crossed!)

While it technically could be feasible, I would not set it to 999GB. As noted in the documentation, you should set a reasonable maximum size.

I suggest you…

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. Locate the .dtSparse file.
  3. Change its extension to .sparseimage.
  4. Double-click the sparseimage to mount the disk.
  5. Select the disk in the sidebar or by double-clicking it on your desktop.
  6. Drag and drop the .dtBase2 file to the ~/Databases folder in your Home directory.
  7. Eject the mounted disk and delete the sparseimage file.

Followed your steps to the letter. It worked! A lock key no longer appears on the second machine’s database , and the indexed files seem to be synching and reflecting changes across both. Thanks so much!

You’re very welcome.
Enjoy :blush: