I don’t understand Tags in Globals in DT3

It doesn’t show all of the tags in a database, but only a selection. What’s the distinction/point?

A screen capture would be helpful.

I might be seeing something similar; in the navigation pane under “Globals”/“Tags” all the tags in my databases are listed. A good number of tags appear twice, once as an empty tag with no disclosure triangle, no attached documents and using light grey text; and once with a disclosure triangle, black text and a number indicating the number of documents so tagged.

Because my tags were sorted by date of creation rather than by name, some of the empty tags appeared prominently toward the top of the list, whilst the equally named tag with the documents attached was somewhere closer to the bottom. That way it initially appeared to me that some of my tags which I was certain were associated with documents were coming up empty; what confounded me was that when I checked for the tag under the heading of the database (rather than in the top-group called Tags) the tag always correctly showed the linked documents.

Maybe this was what the OP was seeing too. The empty tags all appear to be associated with “Inbox” whilst the equally named non-empty tags are all associated with a database. @BLUEFROG Jim, any suggestion as to why I have a number of empty tags associated with “Inbox” (covering some, but certainly not all my tags); could it have something to do with the fact that the databases were all created in DT2, and I sometimes (but not always) import and tag documents whilst my databases are closed (i.e. only the Inbox is available), opening and moving them into the databases at a later point?

@acoyne , if I have highjacked your post, please accept my apologies; I’m not sure what exactly you are referring to, and hope my input might be useful.

As a further thought: @acoyne are you aware that “Globals”/“Tags” only lists the tags of open databases? Tags associated with closed databases won’t be listed here until the database is opened. Again, guessing at your problem here, because I’m not quite sure what you are describing.

and I sometimes (but not always) import and tag documents whilst my databases are closed (i.e. only the Inbox is available), opening and moving them into the databases at a later point?

Can you clarify how you are doing this? Do you mean you’re importing into the Global Inbox, tagging them files, then filing them in their specific databases? If so, then yes you would have empty Tags in the Global Inbox’s Tags group.

your description is correct, that is exactly what I am doing. Thanks for the clarification, Jim. That explains my findings - have to wait for the OP to respond and see whether either explanation helps him too.

No problem. Also, there’s a smart rule Criss uses that may be of interest to you…

1 Like

Thanks Jim; I had already had a look through the forum before posting here, and had seen Criss’ smart rule. However, deleting the tags associated with the inbox (which are all empty) means that when I tag documents in the inbox whilst my other databases are closed, no tags will be suggested as I type (eg one of my tags is NAROSC, so currently when I type NA the tag is suggested; that helps me remember what my tags are called and saves some typing some of the time). Maybe a variation of the smart rule might be useful, eg removing empty tags last modified not within last x days… that would remove suggestions which are unlikely to be helpful, keep things tidy… oooooh :blush:

That certainly would be doable. Have fun with it! :slight_smile: