iCloud upload….DT3

Seems that we have to wait till 3.0.1 to continue syncing properly with iCloud, or downgrade to some of the betas.

No, iCloud sync isn’t affected by the iCloud Drive changes. It’s “only” a display & timeout issue of the iCloud upload.

1 Like

I have the same problem, persisting for days. Quitting DT and restarting solves it for a moment but then returns.

For me, this also occurred since the final version of DT3 appeared.

Does not feel good to see all the time that some items fail to upload.

1 Like

Again… this is NOT a DEVONthink process. It is iCloud and we are only showing some progress of iCloud’s activity. Nothing more.

1 Like

I think the bigger picture here is that sync in DT is far from seamless (and it seems worse in DT3 vs. DT2); IMHO sync should really be invisible to the user, and “just work.” … As a point of comparison, I find that sync with other third-party apps that use iCloud Drive (such as Agenda, or Drafts, or Bookends) works much more reliably. Yesterday I added just one unformatted text note to DTG on my iPad with no attachments. The cloud icon was clear. However, when I got to DT 3 much later, maddeningly, the note was not there. I had to open my iPad, press the cloud icon, wait, and only then did the note appear in DT 3.

I think the bigger picture here is that sync in DT is far from seamless (and it seems worse in DT3 vs. DT2); IMHO sync should really be invisible to the user, and “just work.” …

I’m not sure what this is in reference to, as the iCloud monitor - again - has no bearing on syncing. Many, many people are happily working and syncing databases every day.

Also, you can’t reliably compare the sync in other apps as they are not doing the same thing as DEVONthink, from a technological standpoint.

And any remote sync location is not under our control (something I have discussed often), especially concerning iCloud syncing.

1 Like

I’m getting tired of reading “bluefrog” repeat the same thing, ad nauseam – as I’m sure he is, too. But the constant defensiveness (and denial) is annoying and not helpful.

I understand that the iCloud monitor is just what it says: a display (and if it isn’t providing meaningful information, why offer it?)

I understand that what iCloud does isn’t under DT’s control.

What does fall within the app’s responsibility? Is the code handling sync in DT as good as it can be, without the possibility of improvement?

Finally, suggesting that clients not use remote sync just isn’t an option. Sync is here to stay. Many people have several devices. It’s imperative that sync work as best as it can.

1 Like

I did not mean to air any criticism. I tried to find a solution or hint for the cause on the forum and thought it would be useful if you/others know that this is going on, not occassionally but frequently.

From what you say, the message means that the sync is indeed not complete. Although, I could not figure out what is not being synced, that is then indeed something I cannot live with and I therefore decided to switch to Dropbox for sync. Took an afternoon to get everything onto the iPhone and iPad.

I did not notice anything unusual with iCloud sync with other apps … but again, I did not write to air criticism but thought it would be welcome information. I am a happy user.

No worries at all, @Wolkenhauer and it’s useful in the sense it can underscore the situation with what DEVONthink’s sync with iCloud is doing.

Many people mistook the finish of activity in DEVONthink’s Activity window / pane to mean data was on Apple’s servers and should be on their other devices shortly (which is actually how the Dropbox sync does work!)

This is why we changed the messages in the Activity to…

• Preparing items for iCloud = syncing to the local machine set aside for us in iCloud’s local directories.
  • iCloud upload = a monitor of the iCloud process uploading to Apple’s servers.

Cheers!

1 Like

Here, I have the same phenomenon.

Jim, but why are all files perfectly synced already (or they seem so) and the monitor still shows iCloud Upload of 1 or 2 files forever? Are there invisible files that are still to be synced?

As an experiment I changed just one letter in an RTF file and it showed after short time on my iPad. Still the monitor in DT3 shows the upload thingy.

Well, I don’t want to get on your nerves more than necessary. :wink:

and the monitor still shows iCloud Upload of 1 or 2 files forever? Are there invisible files that are still to be synced?

That I can’t tell you, as I have no knowledge of what iCloud is up to on its own.

As I said previously, it’s possible the monitor is showing more or less information than it needs to. This is not going to be a hyper-accurate gauge, but an estimation.

Well, I don’t want to get on your nerves more than necessary.

No one is “on my nerves” here. Just making sure people are understanding what the monitor is and isn’t.

Happy, I did not get on your nerves, because you had explained this already enough, I think. Just wanted to make sure :smile: :joy:

Perhaps this is a simplistic idea, but I believe that the iCloud Activity display is more a visual annoyance than an actual problem.

How about just getting rid of the damn thing? I’d be perfectly happy with that solution. As long as DT3 functions and syncs properly, I don’t really care what iCloud is up to, and I don’t feel compelled to shoulder another expense (DropBox etc.) just to avoid having to look at it.

Or perhaps put a flag in the preferences to not display it…

My own investigation shows:

• files are actually syncing file to iOS devices, but the Mac client progress display gets wrongly stuck with 1-2 items to go, i.e. “iCloud Upload: 9 of 11 items”
  • using fs_usage, I can see bird performs thousands of file operations (getattr(), etc) per second against files in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~xxx~com~devon-technologies~sync/DEVONthink/ , 2x-3x the amount of IOPS than the rest of the operating system combined
  • when left open, bird is responsible for
    most of the battery drain on my laptop with a constant CPU load of 40-60%. Exiting DTPO stops the load immediately.

I’m definitely looking forward to this being fixed.

1 Like

As pnuk has, I have had the exact same observations on my system (2018 MacBook Pro, DVT 3 [release version]. On the final beta all was fine. Install DVT 3 release version, this happens immediately.

It’s clearly in the hands of DevonThink now.

Bluefrog’s mantra that it’s not DevonThink is simply illogical, irresponsible and unacceptable.

And… I’m already hot without my laptop heating up the room even more while running DevonThink… So… I, too, look forward to the fix, and I’ll be patient because I love the product!

3 Likes

Just send an email to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com and I’ll send you the latest internal beta.

My question is whether any code relating to sync but not having anything to do with the status indicator is being changed.

The sync of v3.0.1 will be the same, only the upload monitor will be more reliable.

1 Like

our beloved Bfrog lol

Yes I noticed CPU goes way up with this issue

i must listen to that mantra X times for now. it´s mostly never a problem from devonthink… always osx… and yes osx is the programming plattform, and the developers are responsible for the written code and what happens if something goes wrong…