iCloud upload….DT3

Only problem is that it’s shown permanently :slight_smile:
" developer have to weigh in on this" :wink:

1 Like

I have iCloud sync messaging weirdness too, and only since the recent DT3 release version.

iCloud does appear to be actually syncing items.

It’s just that there seems something wrong with the DT3 activity monitoring: it’s stuck on “iCloud Upload - N of N items”, despite successful syncing. The values of N change, in no principled way that I can determine.

This might well be more a problem of our iCloud monitoring than the iCloud upload process itself. We’ll have a look.

1 Like

I have the same stuck “iCloud Upload” message in DT pro 3. I looked at the logs that bird is writing and it appears to be “evicting” files, which as I understand it, is normal behavior for older files it had previously downloaded which would have occurred during the initial DT sync that I did after upgrading.

I also used “Cirrus”, an iCloud diagnostic tool you can find here: https://eclecticlight.co/downloads/ to run a test file upload and a test file cleanup. Both appear to have run successfully.

This makes me think iCloud is probably working correctly (in it’s usual slow and obscure way) and perhaps the DT3 message or iCloud monitoring is faulty.

1 Like

Again, what I think is key here is that the iCloud monitoring or some action relating to DT’s use of iCloud is causing abnormal CPU/energy use, which is a problem on laptops.

And that is, just as @BLUEFROG has already pointed our, outside of our control. Synchronizing databases with hundreds to many thousand files causes CPU and energy use for as long as iCloud needs to sync and upload the data. That would also look exactly the same when you’d throw the contents of your databases onto iCloud Drive and wait for the upload to happen.

1 Like

I don’t see iCloud doing anything abnormal, just it’s usual tidying up after doing a lot of synchronization work.

1 Like

I should also note that I modified a file in DTTG on my iPad which successfully sync’d over via iCloud to DT3. All while the stuck “iCloud Upload” message was still being displayed. So, iCloud and DT3 sync both seem to work for me.

I beg to differ. DT3 is involved. There aren’t thousands of files being synced, as these are small changes, long after the initial sync. And this sync is mostly finished. How do I know? Because the data has already appeared on my other devices. According to the monitoring, there is 1 item left — but this doesn’t change no matter how long I wait. And excessive CPU usage by Bird doesn’t drop until I quit DT3. If DT3 had merely made the data available to iCloud for sync, that wouldn’t happen, would it?

In sum, contrary to what has been suggested, the problem appears to result from an interaction between DT3 and iCloud.

Isn’t it possible that the monitoring itself could cause excessive CPU to be used? Wasn’t this changed precisely in the interval between the last beta and the GM release?

Please investigate.

There aren’t thousands of files being synced

DEVONthink does not sync your files, i.e., if you put a 10MB PDF in DEVONthink it is not copying that PDF as you see it. So yes, syncing a file can generate multiple files in the transactional data.

And as noted previously…

This might well be more a problem of our iCloud monitoring than the iCloud upload process itself.

We changed a bit in the iCloud monitor between last beta and GM. It could, of course, also be the case that even just monitoring the progress causes CPU activity. Again, we’ll have a look.

1 Like

Notice that I didn’t say that DT was syncing the files. The CEO was referring to an initial sync situation, which isn’t the case.

Same thing is happening here. It started after installing 3.0 official release. Betas have been fine. Also, there is nothing left to sync since I can see content of databases on all devices. Yet, the progress bar remains. Quitting and relaunching Devonthink Pro makes no difference in my case.

2 Likes

Is it possible to return to beta - or DT2? I wanted to buy DT3 - but this error/feature with its high CPU load eats up my battery.

1 Like

The betas didn’t show the progress, that’s the biggest difference. However, version 3.0.1 will fix this and should be available later this month.

Also, there is nothing left to sync

You cannot judge that based in what you’re showing in the Activity window, especially as it’s not showing things in DEVONthink’s control.
So, according to iCloud, there are things to sync.

FWIW I’m having the same problem and it correlates strongly with DT3 release.

DT3 is somehow creating file system activity that’s absolutely caning system performance and battery life. My iCloud Upload progress bar gets stuck indefinitely

̶A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶l̶i̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶m̶p̶o̶r̶a̶r̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶.̶ I haven’t yet found a workaround.

1 Like

It eventually stopped happening on my iMac and MacBook Air. Don’t know if it was the passage of time or the fact that I had restarted DT3 three times, but one of the two took care of the problem. YMMV.

Yes, the stuck iCloud message went away along with the continuous running of the “bird” process for me as well. Took about a week or so.

Were you experiencing some network instability or a poor connection? (this is the thought of the dev team)

Was “bird” showing excessive energy or CPU use?

The other question I have is: is sync trouble-free for folks who use Dropbox instead of iCloud for sync?