iCloud upload….DT3

My own investigation shows:

• files are actually syncing file to iOS devices, but the Mac client progress display gets wrongly stuck with 1-2 items to go, i.e. “iCloud Upload: 9 of 11 items”
  • using fs_usage, I can see bird performs thousands of file operations (getattr(), etc) per second against files in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~xxx~com~devon-technologies~sync/DEVONthink/ , 2x-3x the amount of IOPS than the rest of the operating system combined
  • when left open, bird is responsible for
    most of the battery drain on my laptop with a constant CPU load of 40-60%. Exiting DTPO stops the load immediately.

I’m definitely looking forward to this being fixed.

1 Like

As pnuk has, I have had the exact same observations on my system (2018 MacBook Pro, DVT 3 [release version]. On the final beta all was fine. Install DVT 3 release version, this happens immediately.

It’s clearly in the hands of DevonThink now.

Bluefrog’s mantra that it’s not DevonThink is simply illogical, irresponsible and unacceptable.

And… I’m already hot without my laptop heating up the room even more while running DevonThink… So… I, too, look forward to the fix, and I’ll be patient because I love the product!

3 Likes

Just send an email to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com and I’ll send you the latest internal beta.

My question is whether any code relating to sync but not having anything to do with the status indicator is being changed.

The sync of v3.0.1 will be the same, only the upload monitor will be more reliable.

1 Like

our beloved Bfrog lol

Yes I noticed CPU goes way up with this issue

i must listen to that mantra X times for now. it´s mostly never a problem from devonthink… always osx… and yes osx is the programming plattform, and the developers are responsible for the written code and what happens if something goes wrong…

They are working on it, and @cgrunenberg said it would be solved in 3.0.1

just facts

Only the cosmetic progress indication will be fixed.

It will be interesting to see whether new sync problems persist.

I’m sure it’ll be solved one way or another. Maybe this “cosmetic progress indication” is what causes this problem.

It’s actually the same issue.

The progress indication that doesn’t finish actually prevents the sync from finishing and causes excessive CPU?

All problems have gone away since switching to Dropbox (reluctantly!)

FWIW I’m now testing the beta build Christian provided and the issue is much improved.

The progress indication that doesn’t finish actually prevents the sync from finishing and causes excessive CPU?

The monitor doesn’t “prevent the sync from finishing”, as noted by several people.

As a temporary workaround: tick off the checkbox against iCloud in Sinc tab of Preference pane while working from battery or sinc is not needed.

Just tick it on for while if you made some critical changes an want them on other devices.

Such a “hand-made” sinc will eliminate the problem, while it is being patched :wink:

The upload monitor causes the CPU usage and progress indication. But it’s not related to sync.

Okay… so far, so good. It appears that with the version 3.0.1 that just released, you have fixed this high-processor activity issue when the synch process bar gets “stuck”.

Thank you very much!

Yes, for the most part, all is good.
But I still get this stuck “#s 5 of 6”. Every time it finishes uploading.

am I the only one seeing this?

I noticed that the last item synching seems stuck sometimes, but after a minute or so it builds up confidence and moves along. So far, I’m inclined to consider this problem solved as far as my own system is concerned.

1 Like