iCloud Upload showing huge numbers of items

Long time user. First time sync problem after switched dropbox-icloud. Same problem

Welcome @BobKaz

If you just switched to iCloud, I’m not sure how this would be the same issue. Can you clarify?

Problem not there before icloud switch. Up late to restore backup

@cgrunenberg i have been observing my system. I have a consistent iCloud upload going on all the time even when no changes are done on the DB. I have went through all the checks suggested above and did not find any deficiencies. Is there anything else I might need to check? Re-deploy iCloud DB?

You could try to clean the sync store and upload the database(s) again.

The suggested solution did not help.

Per iCloud upload….DT3 - #94 by cgrunenberg I disabled sync on all devices, deleted the sync loc, recreated it and selected the local db for sync.
I am getting:
“Synchronize database” does not seem to make anything. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

How can i see if DT3 is actually doing anything? I do not see any information in the bar, neither in logs.

Per iCloud upload….DT3 - #57 by BLUEFROG from @BLUEFROG it should be saying if I understand correctly:

Preparing items for iCloud = syncing to the local machine set aside for us in iCloud’s local directories.

Thank you.

What’s reported in Window > Log?

Thanks.
It seemed that iCloud still had some data in the sync store.
Deleted everything again, restarted DT3. Now busy uploading (still not sure it ever told me “preparing items for iCloud”).
Will report back after upload is done, whether it helped fixed my initial issue. Too bad I did not see this thread before as this is exactly my problem which confirms I am not alone with this strange behaviour.
As @Hens is writing in his comment I also never observed this strange upload behaviour, in my case never before DT 3.5.

Over a year and I still have this issue too.

Do you also have an older Mac?

November 26, 2020

I’m sure you guys are missing the point, sync is like a trip to Vegas. Eventually you will lose but you won’t know why. Then you get to start again or fly home and give up. I love DT but the never ending sync problems drive me insane.

1 Like

That is inaccurate as a blanket statement. As I have said often in here:

Any remote sync location has inherent weaknesses due to:

• Network conditions - local and remote
  • Remote server reachability and response times
  • Maximum concurrent connection limitations imposed by the service
  • Bandwidth throttling measures employed by cloud services

These are limitations sync cannot overcome, any more than your web browser can.

For the optimal experience, you should use a remote sync option when you need to. Just having a Dropbox, iCloud, etc. account does not make it an optimal solution for all situations.
This doesn’t mean you can’t successfully use a remote solution. It just means there are some stumbling blocks that can occur when using them - blocks caused by the conditions mentioned, not our sync engine - and they can inhibit proper syncing.

3 Likes

Do you use iCloud? It’s the most unreliable option unfortunately as… well… iCloud doesn’t seem to be designed for a huge amount of files/folders and regular changes. Even iCloud Drive has to be kicked every then and now. Anyway, we’re aware of the issues and working on another alternative.

I guess so - if that helps, I am on MacBook Pro, Late 2013 with Catalina 10.15.7.

Unfortunately, that isn’t my experience. As we speak I am looking at my TV license in the inbox on my main computer. But it was moved to a different group on my iPhone. Once again the sync has failed and there is no log message nor any other indication that it has failed.

I just don’t feel that sync can be trusted and the huge number of messages posted to this group support my position.

At least give us a sync version number (like in git) or some way to be 100% sure that sync hasn’t failed again.

——————————

Additional comment and full disclosure regarding my TV license sync … I am seeing another thread regarding an inbox sync issue in the BETA test software. Since I am running the beta software, my new problem cannot be considered a product issue.

I may have to eat my words about an inbox sync issue since it seems to only be a beta test anomaly. Unexpected behaviour in test code is normal and to be expected and does not constitute a problem nor product bug.

1 Like

FYI, sync working fine for me for years … Dropbox, Bonjour, and now using Webdav on a Synology recently purchased to replace an out of date Drobo.

Edit: 3 Dec: The Synology Webdav server is NOT accessible from Internet with port forwarding and all that.

3 Likes

iCloud is known to work asynchronously. So a change here is not replicated in real time in a change there, but rather “sometimes”. Aka when Apple pleases it to do so.

That’s an issue not only with DT but with many applications. For example, the guys at Scriptable introduced a special JavaScript method to make sure an asset in iCloud Drive is available locally.

As @rmschne said: WebDAV on your own device works fine. And as @BLUEFROG said: Think about your needs for remote sync. If Bonjour is good enough, why not use it? That one at least works synchronously, AFAIK.

2 Likes

Like others, I had the most problems with the terrible iCloud sync, Apple should be able to do better.

I too am using WebDAV on a synology and am finding it to be reliable these days.

The only time it let me down happened after my ISP interfered with DNS, redirecting me to a “you haven’t paid your bill” site after a credit card expired. I don’t think it was a coincidence that DT sync failed at that time causing me to clean and resync everything.

The ISP screwed things up imho. I hate it when companies arbitrarily change the behaviour of the internet, it causes serious problems with several applications. Time to change to a new ISP!

From the rest of your post, I take it you’re accessing the WebDAV services from outside your network at times?

Yes sir, I redirect the appropriate external port to a Synology server inside my home. It works very well, way better than iCloud sync :slight_smile:

If I’m at home or on the road, DT and DTTG are set up to use my external DNS address for ALL DT WebDAV sync operations. One day I’ll get around to updating my hub so it doesn’t send the packets out and then back in again but for now everything goes to the internet even when I’m at home.

I have experienced two independent sync issues with WebDAV but both happened after a third party forced a network redirect on me (DNS or IP, I’m not sure) so DT can’t be blamed! One time my ISP sent me to a “pay now” site and the other time a hotel redirected me to a “if you want internet, pay us” site. Each time a company was playing games with the internet, never a good thing. It messes up several of my apps.

I could switch to OpenDNS or specify the server address (external, redirected) using a static IP address and bypassing DNS completely, maybe that will help when third parties interfere.

2 Likes

Nice!
Do you still get good performance when using the forwarded port while you’re on the network?