Invalid Encryption Key iCloud (Cloudkit)

In DEVONthink To Go, select Help > Contact Us to start a support ticket. Thanks!

1 Like

I never set up an encryption key with the cloudkit. When setting cloudkit on my iPad it asks for my encryption key. Because I didn’t set one up I continued and now I get the incorrect encryption key error. I checked the keychain and the DEVONcloudy was not their, this is because it was never used when I set the cloudkit up (is this correct)?

I am trying to snych my mac and iPad but am frustrated after spending hours trying to get this set up. I’ve never had a good experience synching between the two. Never. So I am trying the cloudkit with no success.

An additional question, where are the databases stored in cloudkit and how do we access them if we want to copy them in the future?

Thanks,

Welcome @jrthpt

Is the Mac syncing?

An additional question, where are the databases stored in cloudkit and how do we access them if we want to copy them in the future?

The databases are not stored in the sync location. As noted in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync > Q & A

Yes. I read that. But it doesn’t answer where my databases should be stored? In one file? I need to have access to them when on the go. The only way I could achieve this in the past is to have all databases in a Dropbox folder. If I store my databases on a folder on my main computer, my Mac, and set up cloudkit, will I be able to access all databases on my mobile devices then? I am having trouble setting up everything from start to finish as all documents provided are piece by piece. Sorry for the trouble, just trying to get things functional.

As also noted in the documentation I referenced, you should never put your databases in any cloud-synced location or you could irreparably damage them.

If you want the databases on iOS, you need to use and sync with DEVONthink To Go.
Here are the instructions for a CloudKit setup…

On the Mac…
  1. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, enable the CloudKit sync location.
  2. Enter an optional encryption key, if desired.
    If you specify one, you will use this same key on other devices running DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go, syncing with this sync location.
    Note: You cannot add / modify / or remove the encryption key later, unless you clean the sync location first, so it’s best to decide and specify it when you first enable the sync location.
  3. With the sync location selected, in the Databases list on the right, check the checkbox next to a database you want to sync.
  4. After it has finished syncing, enable the next database to sync, and repeat until all desired databases are synced.

When syncing, you can check ​Window > Log​ for any reported errors.

On the mobile device…
  1. Go into DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync: Edit Locations and touch the CloudKit location.
  2. Enter an optional encryption key.
    Note: If you are connecting to an active sync location. You must enter the encryption key you initially specified. If you didn’t specify an encryption key, you must leave it blank.
    Also, You cannot add / modify / or remove the encryption key later, unless you clean the sync location first, so it’s best to decide and specify it when you first enable the sync location.
  3. Touch the sync location and flip the switch next to databases that are available to import.

When syncing, you can check the sync icon in the bottom toolbar for any reported errors. A triangle will appear when a warning or messaged is logged.

I synchd my databases on my desktop using the Cloudkit feature in Devonthink 3.8. I uploaded the software on my laptop and tried to access the databases from my office. I am unable to find the databases? How do I access the databases from my laptop when I am mobile using Cloudkit?

Thanks,
John

You must be using DEVONthink To Go and import them from the same sync location as you uploaded to.

Sync is covered in the Help for each application:

• For DEVONthink, sync is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync, Preferences > Sync, and Troubleshooting > Sync Issues.
  • For DEVONthink To Go, sync is covered in the ? > Help > Sync your databases section.

There are also manuals available here: Manuals

There is a forum post on syncing: Sync Types Explained
There is also one specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

I was never able to get DTG set up. see previous message. It just doesn’t synch. I don’t have my ipad with me to do this but will try again at a later time.

What other options are available to scynch my databases so that I can access them anytime? Even if there is a paid option. Otherwise, I will once again avoid using DT because I am unable to access the databases that I need when I need them. This has been a long-standing issue with DT.

Thanks,
John

I purchased DTG on my iphone. I set up the Cloudkit per the instructions. The databases that I set up with Cloudkit using my desktop are not listed on DTG? Where do I access my databases?

Thanks,
John

I still get the ‘invalid encryption key’ notification. I never set it up using an encryption key, I left this blank.?

Is Cloudkit asking for our apple (icloud) id and password for the encryption key? Is this the problem?

Do I need to set up Bonjour for CloudKit to work?

Is Cloudkit asking for our apple (icloud) id and password for the encryption key? Is this the problem?

No. DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go sync to the active Apple ID. The devices must be logged into the same ID to sync DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go through it.

Do I need to set up Bonjour for CloudKit to work?

No. They are unrelated sync methods.

I set up the Cloudkit per the instructions. The databases that I set up with Cloudkit using my desktop are not listed on DTG? Where do I access my databases? Where do I access my databases?

• Did you get the invalid encryption key error when you set it up? It would have shown you right after pressing the Save link.
    • If not, did you tap the sync location?

When I tap the synch on my iphone it shows the error “Invalid Encryption Key.”

I would suggest this, since the Mac has the master database(s)…

1. Delete DEVONthink To Go and its data, then reinstall it, but do not set up the sync location yet.
  2. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, right-click the CloudKit sync location and choose Clean Location. This will clear out any sync data. You can now add, modify, or remove an encryption key for the sync location, but it must be done before you sync a database. This key would have to be entered in the sync location on other devices syncing with this location.
    If you want to add/modify/remove the encryption key, right-click the sync location and choose Show Info. Make the modification to the encryption key fields, the click outside the Info popup. However, DO NOT SYNC YET.
  3. On the Mac, go into System Preferences > iCloud and click the Manage button. Select DEVONthink To Go then click the Delete documents and data button.<br
    This preference doesn’t give a realtime view of the deletion process, so close and return to the Manage section occasionally to check the process. Once iCloud has removed the data from Apple’s server, the DEVONthink To Go entry will disappear.
  4. After these things are done, check the checkbox next to a database in the Databases pane on the right to sync to the location again.
  5. After a successful sync on the Mac, set up the CloudKit location in DEVONthink To Go, using the same encryption key, if you specified one.
  6. Then touch the sync location and import the database.
  7. If all is well after step 7, repeat syncing and import, one database at a time, as needed.
1 Like

Following the above steps.
Do I select the “Global Inbox” in DT2G? I assume that is required.
Thanks

In what step?

OK. I was able to get the DT2G synched on my iphone. My desktop provides the databases that my iphone can select from. Will this remain so if my desktop is off or asleep?

Also, I am unable to get my laptop to recognize the databases? Do I also need to first download the databases to my laptop, then have them synch between the two copies (desktop and laptop)?

I was able to download one of my databases to my laptop and it does recognize the database. But when I try to open this database in DT3 (laptop) I get the following message (Database ‘name’ seems to be already in use!). If I open this database it says my data could be corrupt. I understand that I would need to close the database on my desktop, then I could open the database on my laptop without getting this error/message. However, if I close the database on my desktop will that cancel the database in DT2G? This is where my confusion remains, how are these databases identified across devices and how does DT2G snych across devices? How do I get my laptop to show the databases?

Thanks

I am trying to set up my ipad using the same instructions as I did with my iphone (DT2G). I use Cloudkit with the same encryption key that I used with my iphone and desktop. I getr the error ‘Invalid Encryption Key’?

This email/message back and forth is not working. Sorry and I appreciate your time. However, I need a helpdesk person to help me set up my desktop, iphone, ipad, and laptop. Is there any option to get help doing this?

Thanks

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

Desktop, laptop, and iPhone syncing, iPad not so much.

Unfortunately, my work from this afternoon’s on the iPad :man_facepalming:

Manually AirDropped files across, deleted app from iPad, reinstalled, and setup a fresh sync. This is working, so looks like the iPad instance of the app got screwed up somehow.