Is Catalina ok?

Yeah. I image that’s part of the pain and length of the install process.

I’ll likely do an Erase and Install on at least one of my machines.

I think thats why, I didnt have Time Machine on so maybe thats why it took about two hours.

1 Like

Yes you should especially if you use this one as test. so much junk there.

Just had my first issue using Catalina. My Custom Metadata fields are gone from DT3 prefs. Proceed with caution. I wouldn’t proceed at all if you have a lot of Custom Metadata. I use Custom Meta for project status tracking, so I can repair it all with a good review.

1 Like

I cannot vouch for this but it seems to be of concern:

How did you install Catalina? The custom metadata setup is actually stored in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/CustomMetadata.plist. An upgrade shouldn’t change or delete this file.

Could you please post a screenshot of the error message or alert? Thanks.

I opened a full thread. Here:

Everything in DT3 run smoothly on 10.15 except for one strange thing. I am using BTT for shortcuts and windows snapping. After upgrade to 10.15, the only thing that “doesn’t” work is the the windows snapping for all types of windows in DT3 (All other apps, including DTPO2, behave normally with BTT windows snapping in 10.15). I am just wondering if DT3 is using some sort of special class for windows in MacOS.

No, just ordinary windows like in version 2. Nothing special about them. But what is BTT?

BetterTouchTool. It’s ok, I will also check with the BTT forum. Perhaps it’s just my BTT settings.

Please choose also Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg@devon-technologies.com - thanks! Maybe there’s something in the logs.

I installed through System Preferences/Software Update.

The issue between BTT and DT3 is resolved. Non-DT3 related. A particular privacy setting must be enable for BTT in Mac OS 10.15. Strangely, only DT3 is affected.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info! Which privacy setting actually?

(1) Snap areas for BTT is not related to key short-cuts, user can define certain areas on screen, when the cursor is dragging a window to a defined area, the window will be automatically resized/positioned.

(2) Screen recording permission must be granted to BTT. The strange thing is, only DT3 is affected (for my case only). From the BTT’s developer in its forum:

Cheers

So, I now have Catalina on my secondary device. First use of DT3 shows no serious problems (I have noted “flashing” of the screen when closing multiple databases with DT in fullscreen), I will report back if that changes with more intensive use. Catalina (fresh install) still seems pretty buggy to me - apps have failed to appear in launchpad, apps in the “other” folder in launchpad have spontaneously escaped the folder and distributed themselves across my 3 launchpad pages, the info-window regarding privacy has appeared multiple times when opening calendar, sparsebundles opened by DT and later closed by DT are still not ejected properly (see this thread: Volume unmounts, sparse bundle image does not eject (DT 3 beta1)), thunderbolt links between devices are slower than previously due to recurring pauses and only worked following multiple restarts, disconnecting servers doesn’t seem to necessarily disconnect, leaving the connect button dead, icons in the dock (eg the download folder) get spontaneously replaced by ?, and all in all the OS appears less responsive than Mojave (eg first time clicking on “Desktop & Screensaver” in System Preferences does nothing for a good second, almost 2). I might hold off installing on my primary device for a while…

1 Like

Installation took less than 2hrs on both machines and everything works just fine.

I’ve been on Catlina since Beta one and DT 3 also since the first beta. Very minimal issue. The only one initially was with the sorter but that’s been fixed as of now.

Thanks everybody for your responses :slight_smile: