Line Break Before Each Bullet Point

Hi, I write mainly in markdown format and was wondering if there was a script/code/rule whatnot that could automatically add a line break before each bullet point so that everything is neater and easier to read?

I’ve been doing it by hand after copying and pasting several documents, so I’m honestly going to feel silly if such a thing exists, but it’d be a great help!

currently:

• erkge
  • erguheiguh
  • kerghieugh

what I’d like:

• iuvhreih

• rieugherihg

• ferihugiergh

A script should be able to process the source of the Markdown document. But a better approach might be to use a custom stylesheet which increases the line height of lists. @bluefrog is more familiar with styling Markdown than I am :slight_smile:

Do you know if there’s An apple script for it already made? (I’ve never tried to make one myself, but I can learn)

mainly because I want to implement it even in other formats, not just markdown

would the custom sheet style be limited to markdown only? or can I use the same one for docx, rtf etc.

also sidenote, [toc] isn’t a feature yet for markdown in DT3 right?

I’m not aware of such scripts but it would be more or less a straight find & replace operation. The stylesheet would be Markdown specific, see Preferences > Media.

The simplest method would be to add this to the top of the Markdown file…

<style type="text/css">
ul {
line-height: 2;
}
</style>

You could also create a CSS file and…

1. Set it as a default stylesheet in Preferences > Media > Markdown > Style Sheet
  2. Link to it via the methods mentioned in the Styling section of the built-in Help > Documentation > Documents > Markdown Documents

also sidenote, [toc] isn’t a feature yet for markdown in DT3 right?

Not in square brackets, it’s not. MultiMarkdown supports {{TOC}}.

1 Like

ooo I forgot it was multi markdown

also I’m sorry for being dumb. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because neither method is working for me?

ok I messed up I got the first one to work because I originally copied the code wrong

but is there away to make them separate in the actual editing pane and not just the preview pane?

if that’s what the style sheet is for, I think im misunderstanding the point of linking? I auto convert most of the docs to markdown as soon as they enter the dt3 inbox. Would I have to manually add in the link for each one? Sorry, this is incredibly new to me :confused:

but is there away to make them separate in the actual editing pane and not just the preview pane?

To make what separate?

Would I have to manually add in the link for each one? Sorry, this is incredibly new to me

No worries! I suggest you read this post I wrote that should prove helpful:

That was really helpful, thank you!

And I meant that I’d have liked to add a line break before each bullet point in the editor panel, which would then translate into a line break in the preview panel, as well. My ADHD makes all the text get confusing when everything is so close to one another, so I have to increase the distance between each line haha.

That was really helpful, thank you!

Thanks! That’s always nice to hear :slight_smile:

I meant that I’d have liked to add a line break before each bullet point in the editor panel,

Ahh… That’s not an adjustable feature at this time. The request is noted.

awesome :slight_smile: