Locked Files (*.rtf) - can't edit files in DT3

DVT3 is locking my files, especially my rtf-files. I can’t edit them in dvt3, I have to open them in Nisus Writer. It has nothing to do with automatic rules (fies are new, I never apply the rule). Files are marked in the editor with the little “sword? crossed pencil? - symbol”, but not with the padlock. In the context menu (right click with the mouse) the files are not marked as protected - so I can’t unlock them.

When I create a new file everything is fine. When I come back later the file is locked.

I read this:

but there was no solution.

Any ideas? Thanks

This is actually intentional in case of RTF files created/edited with Nisus Writer as this app uses its own proprietary RTF extensions and the text engine of macOS might corrupt the layout of your document or remove images.

aha. So basically I have two different RTF-files:

The ones I created or edited with Nisus Writer - these files can’t be edited in DT3 and can’t be saved after opened in DT3 and edited in TextEdit. And vice versa. Better to avoid Nisus Writer then, because it kills the workflow. Thanks for the quick reply.

I switched to markdown and I have the same problem when editing the *.md-file with an external Editor (Typora). The files I edited in Typora are locked in DT3 - why? When I reopen them in Typora I can’t save them anymore. I have to save a copy. This can’t be a feature.

Are you looking at the Preview mode in DEVONthink?
If so, choose View > Document Display > Source if you want to edit the file.

A screen capture may be helpful.

Thanks for your answer. After some testing I think the problem has something to do with my file system. Parts of my database are indexed files and folders located in a folder which is synchronized via “Google Drive File Stream” to a Google Cloud Drive. These files are on my hard drive (for offline use) but are uploaded in the background. When I create a file in DT3 in one of these folders I can edit them in DT3. But after editing them in an external editor I can’t save them anymore. So I think Google Drive is causing the trouble.

While I don’t use that app or service, I would say that is plausible.