Purchased DEVONthink (DT) a while ago (prev version as of now), and have tried using it. Every time however, I defaulted back to using Finder (Finder was familiar, DT advantages were not clear and in any case all the old files / information was housed in Finder so DT searches were incomplete).
Wondering if others can share examples where DT outshines using Finder and other utilities, and therefore it becomes worthwhile to weave DT into the workflow. I am sure there are and it is just that I have not been able to understand or adopt.
Some notes re my Finder usage:
As I see it, I am able to
- OCR PDFs when scanning (Scansnap does it), download PDFs are searchable
- give files descriptive names - with date, and content detail in the name itself
- file project related files in a common folder
- add tags to enhance likelihood of finding files when spotlight searching in the future
- use markdown files to take notes and to capture web page snippets and to save web articles etc
- create a reference to finder file by using a shortcut and script to get the path of the Finder file to refer to in another document say
- save emails in original format in any Finder folder
- and by using Finder, am able to keep all files in one organization system
Further, taking notes, using Finder and general computer usage has become more powerful for me with the use of Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, Typinator and some apple scripts.