MD icon for Markdown

You could try downloading Onyx and running the maintenance. There may be various sorts of junk that have built up in the system over time. A good clear out may help.

3 Likes

Agreed. It could be the icon cache or LSRegister or some other such thing under-the-hood.

Thanks to both of you. Mbbntu thanks for the intrduction to Onyx which I downloaded and ranā€¦ seemed to go smoothly. Iā€™m still stuck with the Icons though! Perhaps SebMacV will have better luck though!

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile:

Would you like to try trashing DEVONthinkā€™s preferences?
If soā€¦

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Preferences
  3. Copy the com.devon-technologies.think3.plist to your Desktop.
  4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and paste: defaults delete com.devon-technologies.think3 and press Return.
  5. Type: exit , press Return and quit Terminal.
  6. Relaunch DEVONthink and check the file(s).
  7. If itā€™s still unresolved, try importing a new file to see if the behavior persist on a new import too.

Yes I did that. Im afraid that it still shows a green bear! I attach a screenshot

Bear has the option to choose from among different colored document icons.

Good to know. Thanks.

THanks Tried thatā€¦ No change still have the green gremlins. And TodW is right, I can chager Bear color but not those pesky md icons they remain determinedly green.

I had this exact same problem with green Bear icons on a fresh install (with Bear and DT installed) of an M1 and eventually got it fixed.

I think the final incantation that worked for me was changing the icon for markdown files on the Mac itself and then following the approach of ā€œtrashing DEVONthinkā€™s preferencesā€ listed by @BLUEFROG above.

This does seem like a Mac file association problem with Bear as I freshly setup another M1 a month ago with DEVONthink, but didnā€™t have Bear installed, which didnā€™t have this problem.

1 Like

Yes that sounds right to me. Thanks for sharing.

Iā€™ve had this problem today, Iā€™m so glad intrepid DevonThinkers have gone before me (also it should be illegal for apps to be allowed to change our default preferences without our consent).

Iā€™ve half-fixed mine by resetting the default app on Mac and running Onyx.

Iā€™m now left with the generic white icon that @SebMacV also has. Like Seb, I also think life is too short to spend hours trying to fix this (unless there is a solution now!). More annoyingly though, the file ā€œKindā€ is now listed as ā€œTextEdit documentā€ (the default app I applied to md files - I have no idea what it was previously, I only use md in DT). My rude app had actually changed the file kind to ā€œe-bookā€ (which is how I spotted the issue). Any idea how I get the ā€œKindā€ changed back to ā€œMarkdownā€ like it should be? (Iā€™m happy to change the default app on Mac if Iā€™ve chosen the wrong one.)

Do you have any resolution to this @BLUEFROG? Itā€™s been bugging me all day :joy: (I thought I might be able to fix this system-wide, but Apple is surprisingly silent on what its default .md settings might be.)

That is controlled by the operating system, not DEVONthink.

1. Locate a Markdown document in the Finder.
  2. Press Command-I to open the Get Info pane.
  3. Look at the Open With section. What is listed as the default application?

Itā€™s TextEdit now. I had to set it as that to fix the naughty app that seized control. I donā€™t know what it was before (Iā€™d rather it was just whatever Apple set it as before but Iā€™ve not found out what that was). My issue now is that my file Kind in DT is now showing as ā€œTextEdit documentā€ instead of ā€œmarkdownā€ or whatever it said before. (Also the logo has changed to the plain white one but I can live with that I suppose.) I like looking at the ā€œKindā€ list and I do not like it showing everything as TextEdit files.

The kind wonā€™t register as Markdown is thereā€™s no associated application installed.

Download MacDown and set it as the default Markdown app.

Yey, thatā€™s worked, thank you. It still has a white icon but I can live with that. It says Kind:markdown, like it should. Thanks as ever for your help!

Youā€™re welcome!

Is it really just a white icon?
Do you have Preferences > Files > Thumbnails > Markdown enabled?

Youā€™re an actual wizard! That was not ticked, and ticking it and closing and re-opening DT pushes through the MacDown logo, which is very snazzy and means my markdown now stands out with a nice M. Thank you!

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And thanks for telling me about yet ANOTHER app to check out! (shakes fist at cloud)