Meaning of small dot next to database?

Hi there,

can anyone tell me what this little dot is supposed to mean? I don’t have any unread files in this database nor any files flagged, the dot is staying there. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

It means the database has not yet been synced.

Bill

I have had the same question… and looked for it in the online help, I am sure @BLUEFROG has described it there… but sometimes it‘s difficult to extract all relevant information

Hmm… perhaps I didn’t. Making a note of it. Thanks!

And to make a slight correction to @BillW’s comment: it means there are unsynced changes in the database.

1 Like

Thank you, that is of course more accurate.

Bill

I thought it was new item lol

Even after synchronizing the database? What kind of sync location(s) do you use?

How did you set up the Bonjour synchronization? Does only one Mac support incoming connections (see preferences) and do all other computers/devices connect to this central server?

Screenshots of Preferences > Sync from all your Macs might be useful to figure this out.

As a new user, I’m only allowed to post one picture. This is my desktop machine.

Looks like you enabled incoming connections on multiple devices/computers. Recommended is to enable this only on one computer/device (the server) and the other computers/devices (the clients) connect to it.

Another possibility to synchronize databases but it’s limited to computers and not supported by iPhones/iPads.

All the dots are still there.

Most likely as not all your sync locations could be updated (on your screenshot two of them are offline)

I turned off Bonjour on the MacBook and the iPhone stopped syncing with it. Didn’t have any effect on the dots.
I need the phone to sync with the laptop when I’m not on the same network as the desktop machine.
I also need the phone to sync with the desktop when the laptop isn’t open, so I’ve gone back to having Bonjour on the both.
Still got all the dots.
I wondered if it was because I’ve limited the phone to 500 items?

Why did you disable Bonjour on the Mac?

I’m trying to find out why I still have the dots when everything is in sync.

1. Disable Bonjour in DEVONthink To Go on any iOS device you’re running DEVONthink To Go.
  2. Quit DEVONthink.
  3. In the Finder, select the ​Go ​menu while holding the ​Option key​, then choose ​Library​.
  4. In Application Support/DEVONthink move the Cloudy folder to your Desktop.
  5. Relaunch DEVONthink.

Do you intend to use the Mac as the Bonjour server for the iOS devices?
If so…

On the server Mac…

In DEVONthink on the Mac acting as the server…

1. Preferences > Sync > Bonjour Options
    • Check Enable Incoming Connections.
    • Leave the Port blank unless you have a known port to assign.
    • Enter a mandatory Password. You will use this when connecting on the other devices.
  2. Leave DEVONthink running.

On mobile…

In DEVONthink To Go…

1. Go into Settings > Sync: Locations
  2. You should see a sync location for the Mac. Click the green plus button next to it.
  3. Set the options per your choice and touch Save.
  4. Enter the Bonjour password you entered on the Mac.
  5. When it has connected, touch the sync location to show the databases list and flip the switch next to databases you want to import.

Yes, I’ve done all that before.
I have Mac, MacBook and iPhone.
I turned the Bonjour off on the MacBook and the iPhone stopped syncing with it. That’s no good to me.
I don’t have a Cloudy folder to worry about, I’m only using local sync.

I turned the Bonjour off on the MacBook and the iPhone stopped syncing with it. That’s no good to me.

Do not disable Bonjour on the MacBook. Logically, the iPhone won’t sync with it if Bonjour isn’t enabled on the Mac.

I don’t have a Cloudy folder to worry about, I’m only using local sync.

You always have a Cloudy folder. It’s a core component of DEVONthink’s App Support.