Moving from old computer to new ...

I’m setting up a new computer today, and have decided to do a clean install of everything instead of using Migration Assistant.

So I’ll install DTPO 2.0.3 … but is there anything else I should know? What’s the best way to bring over my data, preferences, etc.? What files should I take from the old?

I appreciate any tips you can offer …

A clean install is often a good idea, especially if the older computer has lived through several generations of OS X and might contain cruft that isn’t necessary, or even be harmfu.

I usually just recreate my Preferences. Other than, of course, your database files, the only sizable file that you might want to copy over would be the “Abbyy” folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/ – but check (via the Info panel) to make certain you have no Sharing & Permissions problems with the copy; you should have red & write access.

Install a fresh copy of the application, let it run Help > Install Add-ons, enter your registration information and update your Preferences and you’ll be good to go.

Recently spotted in New Laptop Time revisited — aftermath and more thoughts – Chuqui 3.0:

I know some people still prefer to move stuff over manually and don’t want to trust the migration assistant, and I suppose if you’re someone who’s off hacking the guts of the system, you might need to. My view is “have fun. let me know when you’re done”, and I long ago learned to trust Apple knowing how to do this better than me.

If I’d read that before my migration from Leopard to Snow Leopard a couple months ago I’d have seriously reconsidered my choice to do a clean install and manual migration. But there are reasons when it’s best to start from scratch and build on that clean foundation.

More importantly, I’d want to copy the Global Inbox database (Inbox.dtBase2) and Inbox folder if they’re not empty. There may be other non-default data there worth copying, too. If necessary, Abbyy can be downloaded again so it seems the least to be concerned with copying.

Hi there,

This thread is now 10 years old so I thought I’d re-ask the question for 2020.

I’m setting up a new MacBook Pro. I want to start fresh on it. I’ll download the DT3 app but then what? Can I just copy my databases over and save them in the app? Or, what steps do I need to take to make the move a little easier? And so that I don’t loose any functionality…

Thanks a lot, as always!!!

Having just done this, I would recommend following these steps:

1. follow the steps listed by Jim, here
  2. in addition, following the same basic method, you may want to copy any scripts you have written - you’ll find them in /Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3
  3. in the DT menu on you old device select License und remove your license
  4. on the new device go to /Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3 and delete the Abbyy folder (or don’t copy it across in the first place)
  5. copy ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.think3 from the old Mac to the new one.
  6. on the new device in the Menu select Install Add-Ons, and do exactly that - including OCR (if you leave out 4. and 6. then on Catalina at least system execution protection (is that what it is called) will call you out on the DTOCRHelper; at least that is what happened to me)
  7. Register DT on the new device
  8. Sit back, enjoy your new device
5 Likes

Thanks so much, Blanc! Very helpful!

1 Like

Replying to myself here, as editing is no longer possible; revised instruction:

1. copy ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.think3 from the old Mac to the new one.
1 Like

Should’nt you be admin in the forum? :wink:

Anyways, I added ~/Library/Preferences to my backup schedule … normally, I only backup ~/Library/Application Support

Thanks!

not until I’ve had a glass of wine with the president :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats should happen, from my perception of the forum!

:slight_smile:

Hint hint hint @BLUEFROG @cgrunenberg @eboehnisch (those who I know, there are two more mods)

@Blanc was often interpreted by me as member of DEVON Technologies!
Just from both quality and frequency of his postings.

That he cannot fix a posting to better help other members, is a sad thing.

Making him a moderator could benefit the community :slight_smile:

VOTE for him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which can easily be arranged :wine_glass: (and I have revised the post for you)

1 Like

a certain pandemic keeps rearing its ugly head, but I haven’t forgotten :slight_smile:

Don’t you worry :slight_smile: I’m treated pretty well by the team at DEVONtech, I feel :slight_smile: I do try to keep up with the forum and its members - but life (and that pandemic, again) do keep getting in the way. If I had any official capacity, I would probably feel obliged to fulfil my role. This way I can come play when I have time, and let it be when I haven’t :slight_smile: Quite apart from which I think the mods here do a great job - and it’s easy enough to contact them if required :slight_smile: So really, what I should have done was send a little PM to Jim - but it didn’t seem worth bothering him if I could more or less achieve the same effect myself :wink:

Having said all that, thanks for your vote of confidence :relaxed: most kind of you.

4 Likes