Mysterious badge on icon

The Home Screen icon of DTTG is badged with an red “1.” But I can’t figure out why. I’ve looked all over the app for a notification or other message and found nothing. Where do I find this unread item, what is it, and (most importantly) how do I clear it?

Have you looked in the database’s Trash?

Why would the Trash cause a badge to appear? But, thanks to your prompt, I did look. Then I emptied the Trash. But the badge is still displayed. (insert sad trombone sound here)

The Trash is a location in a database, so I thought it would be advisable to look there.

On DEVONthink To Go’s home screen, tap the Edit link and enable the Unread global smart group. Do you see the items in it?

1 Like

Aha, yes, if I enable that smart group it finds many items. How do I stop DTTG from notifying me about unread items? I looked in Settings but perhaps I missed it? Thanks.

You can adjust the options in iOS’ Settings > Notifications > DEVONthink.

And you’ve looked in the Global Inbox for emboldened items? That’s the other indicator of something being unread.

For example…

:smiley:

Alright, thanks. I guess the workaround is to turn off Badging completely. I was looking for a way to tell the app that I don’t care about “unread” items, but I’ll settle for this.

Beyond my own feelings about this, you might want to note for the design team that the notification was inscrutable because there was no indication in the app about why it was appearing or how to clear it. (I had the Unread Smart Group turned off, so that didn’t provide any hints either.)

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: Not sure what you mean when saying that; is it not the case that databases/groups containing unread items are displayed using the bold attribute? In addition, the number of unread documents is displayed to the right of the name of the database/group, also bold (as opposed to the total number of documents, shown when no unread documents are present). I think you are correct in saying that there is no indication that the badge on the app icon represents unread documents; I think that isn’t even mentioned in the handbook. On the other hand, I also thought that this badge behaviour is the standard for iOS - in that I would have expected the badge to mean exactly that. Is your experience or expectation different, or have I misunderstood you?

1 Like

Sure, if you know what it means, you know what it means. :smile:

The badge is just a notification dot. If it showed the unread count (ala Mail) then I probably would have figured it out. But as a generic indicator, it could mean anything. In the other apps I use, it often means there is something that needs attention.

1 Like

And a slight adjustment… it’s unread items in the Global Inbox :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where are you seeing the badge is just a dot?

Bluefrog, is there a way in DTTG, when viewing the Unread group, to mark all of the items there are read at once, rather than doing that separately with each item?

Randy

1. Tap Edit
  2. Lightly two-finger swipe and drag to select multiple items.
  3. Open the Info popup from the bottom toolbar.
  4. Tap the Unread dot.

Thanks Jim.

Randy

You’re welcome :slight_smile: