New and totally confused by the editor. Used to Evernote and Bear

It’s a very intelligent approach. Too sophisticated for me. Or rather I should say that I do not have the personal discipline.
thanks very much for your interesting comment

I apologize for not considering your suggestion more seriously. I spoke too fast

I read your post again and did some testing. You certainly have a good idea in terms of not letting images interfere with text, it having to jump over images while reading the text. The idea is to toggle between Source (Markdown) and Preview mode.

But there is one last obstacle which I have to surmount, and that is image storage.

“normally” the documents we work with every day (Word, Pages, PDF, Nisus, even Bear notes, Evernote notes, etc) are “packages” meaning that I don’t have to worry about where the images are stored and being careful not to accidentally delete them, or if they are external web images, if the web site changes (which is likely)

How do you manage this issue. For example, most of my images are snagit snapshots.

thanks again

@rufus123 … I think you are making everything all too complicated by forcing everything into DEVONthink AND somewhere else. Why not just use “Word, Pages, PDF, Nisus, even Bear notes, Evernote notes, etc”, index to them in DEVONthink, and use the “Open With …” command?

Just my two bits. I tend to focus and put energy on getting the writing done, so I’m biased.

2 Likes

yes, you are right

it’s a very good comment. I am new to DT and have not read about indexing yet, which I know I should have done. I am going to do that today.
thanks again

You could use this script to index a duplicate of DEVONthink’s internal help, then read from within DEVONthink about indexing in DEVONthink :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Good. And after learning and experimenting with Indexing, decide if you REALLY need to do it. What is the purpose? What added value does it give you when inside of the tool you use to write also has ability (presumably) to view, search, etc. Consider only putting the final writing deliverable/product into DEVONthink.

Always understand best as possible the “why”.

1 Like

yes, very wise. I am reading through the take control book.
I wonder if the problem will boil down to quick look

seems very interesting. thank you
sorry, which procedure and script / script changes of all the ones listed ?. You start with a script, others make all kinds of suggestions to be “safe” etc

This one. It’s completely safe to use as it indexes a duplicate and not the internal files.

And the DEVONthink Manual is a great resource and should be read. Don’t just limit to the Take Control book (which is also good).

2 Likes

True.

so one can choose between the PDF manual and the internal help (or an indexed duplicate of it) without missing anything.

2 Likes

thank you. I ran the script. Very useful

1 Like

@pete31 @rmschne

indexing (not importing)

I’m sorry. After reading the manual and the take contol of DevonThink Pro 3 book, and at the risk of irritating you both, there is something that I don’t understand.

@rmschne Your idea seemed great, but I stumbled when I tried it.

As far as I read and understand, I can index files and folders. I assume that you are suggesting that I can index those folders which contain my Evernote and Bear Notes, which is I repeat, a very intelligent suggestion.

For example, I want to index my Bear Notes: based on the following information from the Bear site, how should I index my Bear Notes ?

On both iOS and macOS, Bear’s notes are stored in a SQLite database. On macOS, the database is accessible with any third-party app or library that has SQLite support.
Bear’s macOS database is located here:
~/Library/Group Containers/9K33E3U3T4.net.shinyfrog.bear/Application Data/database.sqlite

https://bear.app/faq/Where%20are%20Bear’s%20notes%20located/#:~:text=On%20both%20iOS%20and%20macOS,library%20that%20has%20SQLite%20support.

thanks again very much

Sounds like Bear won’t work. Gotta index files. I only copied/paste from your previous post. Suggest you re-read the manual where it is (I think) clear you index files. Databases content not documented. I think you can confirm that without asking it here?

Again, you are over complicating this and probably looking here for help which probably can’t be given.

2 Likes

OK. thank you for your answer. I was confused.

Bear does not store files. It stores notes in an SQLite database file. You need actual files in the filesystem to index.

Also, indexing Evernote notes is not suggested. Importing from Evernote via the File > Import > Notebooks from Evernote or exporting notes from the Evernote application are the advocated methods.

2 Likes

I imported Evernote and all worked fine.
Looking for a solution for Bear. I have some ideas.

Remember: With the Evernote import, there is not a connection between DEVONthink and it. This means, if you continue adding notes to Evernote, they will not be received in DEVONthink. Also, if you reimport notebooks from Evernote, it will generate duplicates.

3 Likes

Is there not some kind of purgatory ? Some place in DT which is not trash but not indexed by DT, where I could put my old Evernote group and import a new one ?
Evernote is a critical issue because the next version 10 is electron based and no longer allows for Evernote import. Evernote users are very upset