New iCloud sync

I’m not technical enough to know what that means—but it sounds like it’s not a possibility.

More specifically: is it necessary to have the actual DTTG window open, or is having it currently launched enough? I hope that makes sense—in other words, if I open DTTG on my iPad, then switch to the Mail app, will DTTG continue syncing?

Thanks!

If iOS allows it - at its whim - it will sync while not in the foreground. The best policy at this time is to bring it to the front to ensure syncing.

1 Like

Okay, thanks—and let’s hope Apple can eventually fix this!

So … put two sync engines at work. (or three, or four!).

Run both Bonjour and a exterior method. When at home (which yes, is not “always” but it is “sometimes”), then “sometimes” you’ll get the fastest possible. The slower one wil work, but will have less work to do.

When you are away from home them Bonjour won’t kick in and you’ll get the exterior method.

Simple. Why chose? Do both?!

1 Like

I tried it out today. I’m missing some files, and as you can see in this pic, some folders/tabs are grayed out. I don’t know if that means they haven’t synced, but have no idea how long that will take.

I think I have Bonjour going, too. It’s only turned on on my Mac because on iOS there’s a note that it’s always bidirectional. Is that right?

Frankly, I don’t have a clue what “bidirectional” really means. I do know that if I put stuff on one device, it will sych to all other devices with only Bonjour working. I guess that “bidirectional”. It matches your goal of “just works” and “fast as possible” (faster needs new technology from Apple and the world).

Setup Bonjour exactly as descibed in the Manual on all devices. A key step is to ensure that “Accept Incoming Connections” is only turned on on one device (Mac). On other connections, just “connect” per how described in the Manual.

Accept that initial sync will take the time it takes. Additional sych’s focus attention on changes, of course, and will be quicker.

FYI, I have (just because I “can”) on the Mac: Bonjour, WebDav local to a NAS, WebDav to remote on FastMail, Dropbox, now CloudKit. Not all little IOS devices sync to all of course since they are simpler and less powerful machines than the Mac. But they all “just work” and I don’t think much about it (hence I cannot remember nor care what ‘bi-directional’ means).

2 Likes

Yes sync is bidirectional by design, i.e., changes made on any device will propagate to the other devices, even in the client-server relationship of Bonjour.

There is nothing showing folders or tabs grayed out (and there are no “tabs” in DEVONthink To Go).

The emboldened number is the number of unread items in a location. The regular text shows the total number of items in a location.
Unread item counts always supersede item totals.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, is it normal for the numbers to not sync between applications?

I also did notice that several documents in a copule of projects didn’t sync. And furthermore, some of the documents don’t download when I click “download”. Do I have to download them first in the Files/DEVONThink to Go?

I’m a little confused.

I thought you had to pick a sync service per database. Can you use both Bonjour and iCloud (CloudKit) sync for a given database?

first you pick and set up a sync location for your instance of DEVONthink. you can pick and use more than one. then you pick the databases. see full description in the Manual.

Huh, I thought only 1 sync location was recommended as well. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the manual: “Multiple sync stores are best used only for different databases and/or different devices, e.g., to synchronize specific databases via one sync store for personal use and sync others via a second sync store for business purposes. Otherwise unnecessary duplicates might be caused,” Hope I’m misunderstanding though (the previous sentence does say, “using a Bonjour or a local sync store sync as a secondary option should work”), as it would be great to have Bonjour for most big syncs around the house, and the icloud for when on the road. You haven’t had any issues?

dunno. works for me. i figure if it was prohibited the interface would stop me.

1 Like

We do not suggest syncing the same database to two remote sync locations. Bonjour is not a remote sync option.

1 Like

Ok thanks so much for clarifying. Bonjour is certainly a great option while stuck at home with the pandemic.

1 Like

I would not expect to see that “fixed”, as this behaviour is by design: iOS aggresively monitors the background operation of apps in order to preserve battery. As a side note, I’ve observed the same behaviour in Apple Notes.

As DT can move a lot of data around, best option is to assume sync can only happen with the app in the foreground.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath. I doubt that they’ll allow any application to run in the background as long as it likes. Or rather: any app that’s not from Apple itself.
And that’s also good: imagined an app hogging all resources and draining the battery in three background.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t really have Bonjour working on my iPhone and iPad, as it turns out. It’s a little confusing because if the Mac is the main source Bonjour is turned OFF on the iPhone and iPad, but you have to add the Mac under the Locations in Sync.

I now have it working (I think), but I just noticed a series of “Internal Service Error”s in the log, saying “CKErrorDomain 15”. Related?

Thanks to you and @chrillek — now I understand the issue better and it makes sense.