@BLUEFROG if of any use, I want to point out some triggers I’m aware of, which caused OCR to seize. None of these are probably very surprising:
- clicking “X” on a file in the OCR queue at lower left of DT window (I never tried from within activity window)
- renaming a file in OCR the queue
- clicking “X” on currently-being-OCRed file (to stop the OCR process)
- feeding a document exceeding 350 pages
In all of these scenarios, I had to delete the SDK folder, but then was still dead in the water until I did both Verify, followed by Optimize. I found that Verify alone did nothing, but doing both operations successively, worked every single time. (I was OCRing thousands of pages last week, and running amuck regularly–so had time to experiment with what was ultimately causing this to happen, and what the silver bullet fix was (or was not).
On the 350-page bit, I realized this once the hard way (and realize full well, this is not in specs nor normal to do something like this in the first place!). After ABBYY seized twice at page #349, on two separate documents, I was then curious what would happen if I converted those huge PDFs into little 1MB plain text files, then OCR’ed those files (in DT) by converting them to paginated PDF. Once again, ABBYY seized at page 349 (I only tried it once, but once was enough–I was only curious in this case.)
In all cases, deleting SDK, quitting DT, re-starting it, then re-opening my database (which I couldn’t do from “open recent” for some reason–DT somehow force-closed the database when I quit on every occasion SDK was deleted–then did a Verify, then an Optimize once the database was re-opened–was indeed a silver-bullet fix–OCR then worked as per normal.
edit: @aedwards Alan–meant to tag you also. Cheers.