OK to Remove DEVONthink ToGo V2 after purchasing upgrade to V3?

You can remove version 2. The issue with restoring the purchase should be addressed in the next maintenance release.

Greetings,

On my iPad, I too have used the "Version 3 (Free upgrade Intro) with v 2.7.9 (16486) installed*. I too was only given a ‘free trail’ or the request for a paid upgrade. So I hit the restore button.

no love.

So I went ahead and chose the free upgrade option.

My question now is: Now that I’m here how do I get dttg v3.0.1 to recognize I have already paid for the one-time purchase upgrade—previously on my iPhone?

Presently, on the iPad, via 3.0.1’s settings > your subscription > manage > I get:

1. “free subscription until July 2021” recognized
    2)"version 3 (upgrade) offering me to pay another $19.99.
  2. a grayed out "retry/restore.

thoughts and advise as to what works now to get the one-time license I paid for on my iPhone to be recognized over on my iPad?

P.S. Also, with the free trial option I’m unable to sync? Or at least that is what I’m seeing presented. As such, anything that can be done (an invitation by me to help in any way I can…), is appreciated

• I installed version 3 via the app store > purchased > my purchases pathway.

update…

I restarted the iPad and very briefly saw a ‘trouble connecting to app store’ message before it disappeared.

I was to slow to grab a screen shot…

After the message disappeared, were you able to choose your upgrade option?

yes. I chose the version 3 free upgrade intro option.

no response from “retry/restore”.

suggestions for what to do next to get the dttg 3.01 o the iPad to recognize the purchase made under the same apple ID on the iPhone?

Just curious: does the issue persist after rebooting the device? This should have been addressed in 3.0.1.

Yes. The condition persists after reboot.

“Problems connecting to App Store; please check your network connection.” does flash as app is starting up—even though all other apps (safari, etc. ) are connecting to internet.

Development is aware of this and investigating if there’s anything we can do to address it. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I have the same issue, having made the one-time upgrade purchase on my iPad I cannot get the version of DTTG on my phone to restore my purchase - at least I have the free trial until July 2021 so this is just an annoyance for now.

Both devices are using 3.0.2 and my phone no longer has DTTG v2 installed.

After seeing all the posts, there seems to be problems with the upgrade on two devices (iPad and iPhone). I wonder if there is a recommended procedure to switch from trial to upgrade on two devices with only one purchase. or is it a problem with the app store.
I have the trial version running on both devices and am now hesitant to make the purchase on one of them because I don’t know what will happen on the other device.

But the new version runs very well on both devices (Version 3.03)

I didnt have any problems on my ipad when I purchased app on my iphone first day after release (on both devices I have installed the previous versions too)

Hi there. I upgrade iPad DT3 with free upgrade version (till July 2021). It doesn’t seem to have an option for me to purchase now. Does it mean that I will wait for the prompt when the free upgrade period expire in Jul? Since I haven’t purchased the new version, I am not dare to remove DTTG2.

Will the same promotional offer for DTTg2 user with a discount of one time purchase?

Yes

Yes, you should remove DEVONthink To Go 2 if you’ve successfully moved to version 3.
And yes, the discount for version 2 owners will be available after the complimentary period has expired.

Does that work even if DT2 has been removed at the point in time at which the complimentary period expires (suggesting DT3 “remembers” DT2 was there when it was first installed)?

1 Like

@eboehnisch would have to comment on specifics but when DEVONthink To Go 3 opens it migrates data to a new location and it should be aware if a previous license existed.

Every time DEVONthink To Go 3 launches it looks for the data store of version 2. If it finds it and version 2 is present it does two things:

1. It makes an APFS copy of the data store and migrates the copy it to the version 3 format.
  2. It moves the sync settings over to version 3. This makes sure version 2 and 3 are not screwing things up by using the same sync ID.
  3. It makes a note of the presence of version 2 so it can offer the price-reduced upgrade.

So you can then safely remove version 2. Version 3 knows that it has once seen V2 and will offer the discounted upgrade when the intro period expires.

1 Like

Hi there, i will get the new ipad pro 2021 likely today. I will install the backup from my current ipad to the new one. I am using the DT3 (waiting for the July prompt to buy the full version with the upgrade discount from dttg2). So if i move to the new ipad, assuming the dttg database will fully transfer to the new one, it will still remember i am an upgrader, can still enjoy the discount, right?

And, any reminder when i move dttg to from the existing ipad to the new one? I dont want to risk any data loss.

Thanks

If the new device is logged into the same Apple ID, then there should be no issue.

You’re not moving it from the existing iPad to the new one. You said you’re restoring from your iCloud account. We have no control over that process.

When you move to the new iPad it will not know that you’re an upgrader. But you can safely install version 2 from your purchases in the App Store app and launch version 3. It will again take a note of the older version’s presence. You don’t even need to launch version 2 and you can safely delete it latest when you’ve received your discounted upgrade offer.