Open new windows in tabs in DT3?

I understand you’re busy replying to other users but I hope you could help me with my issue, see my previous reply via: Open new windows in tabs in DT3? - #40 by Mio

What is particular do you need help with?

I’ll try to rephrase what I said earlier: since I use a 13 inch Mac, without window tabs my display gets cluttered with let’s say 5 open DT databases and 20 DT RTF files at the same time which is almost always the case when I work on files stored in my DTPO databases.

1. I wonder whether you have a potential solution for me since I feel there’re other DT users with the similar issue.
  2. If not, whether you plan in one of your future updates to bring back window tabs like it was the case with the DT version 2?
    I really hope you do have an affirmative response in one of the above two questions. Otherwise, my use of DTPO will be fairly limited for research work I conduct.
  1. I offered a potential solution with the trackpad gesture.
  2. There are no current plans to implement window tabs in DEVONthink. In fact, it wasn’t specifically added in DEVONthink 2. The behavior was a byproduct of how the operating system worked.
  1. With over 35 DTPO files and databases opened at the same time, I hope you’d understand how clumsy and clogged would my display look like; i.e. it’d be almost implausible to select the right file with three finger swipe.
  2. Big Sur, like previous mac OS, supports window tabs. But surely, it’s a technical matter for app developer which I cannot debate about.
  3. I just hope we understand each other and that you understand the problem I have working with the app I’ve been fan of for a long time.

Indeed I understand and can sympathize to some degree as I have some smaller Macs here. However, I am curious why you have so many files open simultaneously. Is this a requirement?

I appreciate your curiosity.
In my particular case I work on a research compiling relevant data for over 1,000 organizations and associated names that are interconnected in various ways. It is a continuous process; i.e. I keep updating files almost on a daily base via Internet.

1 Like

Maybe invest in one or two large say 27" monitors. Will make a a big difference.

Eventually I may. But currently I am out of that option since I live more or less like a nomad and constantly on the move.
That’s why window tabs has been, I may say, crucial to my research project.

1 Like

Yea. Understand. I bought the 15" MacBook for nomad work. But for years have had the big monitors in the office.

1 Like

As a workaround you could try to use several windows with exact same bounds, then use a script or Keyboard Maestro macro to switch between them. It’s far from optimal but may help.

1 Like

Why would you need a script or even KM?

Command- ~ switches between application windows and always has.

To set the bounds and to be able to switch directly to a window. The macOS command only switches between the next or previous window.

You said…

The implication is you’ve manually set window bounds (which needn’t be exact practically), then you use a script or KM to switch windows. That wouldn’t be necessary.

As an addendum, you can also choose windows via the contextual menu of the dock icon.

1 Like

I use a script to open new think windows and set their bounds, but users who don’t do that end up with windows randomly placed all over the screen. That’s quite messy, I think, so it would probably be a good idea to set the bounds with the same script that switches windows. Without setting the bounds there’s not at all an illusion of DEVONthink 2’s tabbed windows. Of course everyone can do whatever they like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to open a file in a new tab when opening it through ctrl+cmd+O?

Not in a new tab, but in a new window if you hold the Option key.