Outlook script error?

I use the provided script, “Add message(s) to DEVONthink”, to add email from my Outlook app.

Recently, Outlook has been updated with an optional “New Look” that you can switch to but toggling a button. I suspect this “New Look” is the way Outlook will be going.

When I try to add a message from this new UI, I get the error reported from Outlook “One or more messages must be selected.” But a message was selected prior to executing the script.

If I switch back to the old UI, the script works again.

I’m not sure if this is a bug with Outlook or with the script. Can someone from DT assist? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.48.43

We have no control over what Outlook reports to the script. If the new UI doesn’t report a selection, that would be an issue for Microsoft to fix.

Sure.

I guess you’re saying that it is confirmed that the UI is not reporting a selection was made? Or, is this possibly a different kind of error? If it is the former kind of error, of course this is a Microsoft problem, but I’d like to know that this is confirmed before I submit a bug report to Microsoft.

If the old UI is working and the new UI isn’t, I’d say it’s l not an issue with DEVONthink or the script.

What does this script return in the Script Editor.app in case of the new UI?

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
	set theSelection to the selected objects
	return theSelection
end tell

I’m not sure I’m savvy enough to understand what you mean by “what does the script return in the Script Editor.app in case of the new UI.”

But I took a guess at what you meant and I did this:

  1. I copied your script into a new Script document
  2. I opened up Outlook using the new UI.
  3. Selected an message in Outlook
  4. Went back to the Scrip document and pressed the “Play” button.
  5. Result: {}

On the other hand, if I switched to the Outlook old UI and selected a message, something like this comes up:
Result: { incoming message id 333249 of application “Microsoft Outlook”}

So I suppose this means the new Outlook UI is returning null result for the command “set theSelection”. Is that what that means?

Is there another “vocabulary” (?) that new Outlook UI would use for returning the result of a selection?

Thanks!

That is correct. The new UI is returning an empty list showing the command they provided is incompatible with it at this time.

And Microsoft would have to address this issue with their AppleScript implementation.

Thanks! I’ve started a bug report with MS Outlook folks!

No problem. Let us know if you get a good word from them.

Will do!

Hi,
If you use this:

set theSelection to the selection

It avoid this error…

Thanks,
BS

Can you post your suggestion within a script? Thanks.

yes, off course.
I’ve one that I’ve seen and made some changes, but it returns other error “Microsoft Outlook got an error: Can’t make missing value into type specifier.” I’m not a programmer and I’m unable to correct this.

Follows the script I’ve:

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
	try
		set theSelection to the selection
		if theSelection is {} then error "One or more messages must be selected."
		
		tell application id "DNtp"
			if not (exists current database) then error "No database is in use."
			set theGroup to preferred import destination
		end tell
		
		repeat with theMessage in theSelection
			try
				set theSubject to subject of theMessage
				set theSender to sender of theMessage
				set theSender to (address of theSender) as string
				set theSource to source of theMessage
				set theDateReceived to time received of theMessage
				set theDateSent to time sent of theMessage
				if theSubject is equal to "" then set theSubject to pNoSubjectString
				
				set theCategories to {}
				set theList to (category of theMessage)
				repeat with theCategory in theList
					set theCategories to theCategories & (name of theCategory)
				end repeat
				set isFlagged to true
				if todo flag of theMessage is (not flagged) then set isFlagged to false
				set isUnread to is read of theMessage
				
				tell application id "DNtp"
					set theRecord to create record with {name:theSubject & ".eml", type:unknown, creation date:theDateSent, modification date:theDateReceived, URL:theSender, source:(theSource as string)} in theGroup
					if theCategories is not {} then
						set theTags to tags of theRecord
						set theTags to theTags & theCategories
						set tags of theRecord to theTags
					end if
					if isFlagged then set state of theRecord to true
					if isUnread then set unread of theRecord to true
					perform smart rule trigger import event record theRecord
				end tell
			end try
		end repeat
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "Outlook" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

You’re getting the error because - as noted previously - the new interface does not report a selection. The classic interface does. This is soemthing Microsoft would have to address, not something we can fix.

yes, indeed. With the old interface it works. Thanks!!

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: