PDF Highlighting problem in DT2G

Continuing the discussion from Highlighting problem with certain PDFs:

I prefer highlighting on the iPad, but notice that this problem still persists on iOS. I recently found a PDF where during highlighting the selection after a certain point would suddenly jump to include a previous or following section and could not highlight the next few words (for example). The desired selection could be highlighted carefully in segments (not ideal). I tied OCR in both DT2G and DT3, as well as compress/convert to a new PDF in PDFExpert, but the problem persists on the iPad, although the highlighting process in Devonthink 3 seems just fine. I have encountered this problem before, but this time did some convert and compare.

Note: before OCR/convert, highlighting on the original extended into the document margins, and some annotations would shift to an adjacent location on reopening, and both of those problems were fixed after conversion. But the highlighting selection is still glitchy on iOS only.

Edit: I’m currently working on another PDF with the same problem, and it appears that the broken highlighting may be caused by two column justified text where word spaces are larger than some normal width.

1 Like

Have you tried the same in PSPDFKit’s PDF Viewer application?

Sorry for the delay. I installed PSPDFKit’s PDF Viewer on iPad Air 5, iOSv 15.6.1, and tried it briefly and it seems to have the same problem. PDFExpert seems to handle OK, as does Devonthink 3 on desktop. It looks like on DT2G the selection gets confused by large spaces between words, and the highlighting jumps to include non-contiguous random sections elsewhere on the page.

No worries!

PDFExpert and DEVONthink on the Mac use different PDF frameworks. I would contact the PSPDFKit developers and file an issue there.

Thank you, but im not sure what you are saying. My report had to do with Devonthink to Go, which has repeatable problems annotating certain PDFs (I could send you several). Are you saying that PSPDFKit is the framework used in DT2G, and that I should complain to them in hopes of getting this fixed?

Are you saying that PSPDFKit is the framework used in DT2G, and that I should complain to them in hopes of getting this fixed?

Yes, DEVONthink To Go uses the PSPDFKit framework and no don’t complain but report the issue to them :wink:

1 Like

Haha, oops, of course. I will do that, politely. Thank you!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome :slight_smile: