Request for a more appealing writing environment

thanks, Chrillek, for the effort.
I had to think longer about what to make of it; and what is at the heart of such a rather – ‘perceived’ as – unproductive discussion. beyond personal opinions and styles (to which everyone is entitled).

I am sure you are right, on your own grounds. And serving your own purposes and expectational fields. Or your understanding of digital document culture.

– So, I decided to trash my initial answer, continuing the search for who or what is ‘right’.
The result rather is an post here that steps out of our one-on-one discussion – and some others…

Meanwhile, I am
• being somewhat at peace with Christians ‘pragmatic’, and friendly answer
• feeling that pointing to something that IMO lies on the ambivalent ground of all this (and producing unhealthy discussions) serves the purpose, the community, and my inner health a little better, instead (– see prior post of mine)

– So, let´s defer our more technical, meta-stoic discussion to a coffee somewhere in Germany, sometimes… I´ll pay. :wink:

PS [edit] : I think recent activity shows at least, that this is not a ‘dead thread / topic’. So, good there is discussion…

I owe you an apology. I did not mean to trivialize the importance of visually well organized writing tools.

For me, the edit window is where I write notes and short statements. If I want to write an essay I look for a different tool than DT’s editors. A full featured editor in DT would be nice, but I would still almost certainly want to use a word processor of my choosing.

Arguing against myself, anything produced in a desktop publishing tool will almost certainly have multiple text blocks and many users like external editors for that.

Plain text documents in DT would be excellent, so there’s a case for creative work in DT’s editor.

I appreciate your position. I do sometimes overlook serious use cases. Sounds like I did this time.

4 Likes

I appreciate the discussion here. 2 years on I’ve moved on for my note taking and use Obsidian which is almost obscenely configurable and a great Markdown-based note-taking experience. I totally understand Christian’s point that it’s a small dev team and they’ve got an endless list of requests for a product that isn’t a just Markdown editor. I still use DT to archive email but that’s about it. For my other stuff I’m just using the file system as Spotlight does a wonderful job of indexing. For my uses it’s more than enough.

1 Like

I think all the answers about ‘just »open with« a full fledged writing app’ work on the grounds that the authors here assume for themselves; this seems to be a) full writing / DTP / authoring experience; and b) working on the desktop (basically).

the issue I think posted / propsed – at least the one concerning me – is different in character. (and in some cases this seems hard to get through, as people rather think on their grounds instead of poster / proposals inherent grounds):

the case to mildly ramp up the editor experience (in my case mainly: MD) for a) more regularly, but low structure input becomes especially problematic if you a) make DT central piece of your note taking (which some people including DT team assumes as one possible scenario) and simple writing down, and b) want to have some consistency and frictionlessness across devices (desktop and iOS).

… of course it can be debated, given the ambivalencies underlying the DT ecosystem, whether this has some priority vis-a-vis other scenarios and other desirables. granted.
– but I think it is important that the case constructed in some minds against the whole impetus of this proposition growing out of use cases / needs of some users, is based on partially wrong presumptions (basically rooted in other(s) use of DT)…

1 Like