Revisiting ways to import from Apple Mail

Hi,
Even though I’ve been using DT for a while now, I still consider myself a new user and am learning new things just about every day. One aspect that has been frustrating me for a while though is having an easy way to import messages from Apple Mail. I understand that recent changes in Apple Mail have impacted the old DT plugin which used to work brilliantly and that a work-around is to install AppleScripts and activate the Script menu. For the most part, this seems to work pretty well, but as I am often importing Email, I’m wondering if there’s some way to bind this to a single keystroke? Also, I never use AppleScript for anything outside of this one particular function, so it admittedly frustrates me a bit to always have a menu in the dock that I really only need in Mail. Of course there’s always the possibility that a new extension has been developed and or that there’s another way to import mail in which case I’d love to know about it.

Thanks for any help with this, I really love DT and am just trying to make it easier for me to use.

See e.g. Mail plugin shortcut - #38 by BLUEFROG

1 Like

Thanks @cgrunenberg. I’ll have to give some thought to how to incorporate this into my workflow. Unfortunately, as a VoiceOver user, drag and drop isn’t really a viable option for me and Apple Mail doesn’t let me use cmd+c to copy a message. Maybe I create an “Import to DT” folder and add a rule that anything there triggers the import script, or something along those lines. A colleague of mine told me of another product that is able to import mail with one keystroke, so I was hoping this signaled some sort of change from Apple’s side.

Thanks again.

Can you recall what this other application is?

There is another way. When selecting the email message you want to save, press Command Shift S and set your Devonthink Inbox folder in Finder as the save to destination as your Finder InBox - not quite what we had, but ok for now…

1 Like

@BLUEFROG The other app is EagleFiler: EagleFiler: Document Organizer and Mail Archiver for Mac . Their “quick capture key” allows individual messages, selected messages, or entire mailboxes to be imported from Apple Mail. I have no idea how they’re doing this, but my colleague mentioned it to me knowing I have missed this ability ever since upgrading to Sonoma.

Ah that’s an interesting idea, at least I could get rid of the script menu I otherwise never need. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

To anyone passing by: This converts the email…

That’s quite similar to DEVONthink’s scripts for the global Scripts menu extra, only major difference is that there’s no hotkey for the scripts.

1 Like

Just for others who stumble across this discussion, I’m going to mention the mbox export/import method. I never have to worry about AppleScript or plug-in changes using this technique, which both Mail and DevonThink handle smoothly. Search this forum for threads about it.

1 Like

Slide 5 in the Help > Tutorials > Handling Email tutorial…

:slight_smile:

Ok. Atta boy, Bluefrog. But for more complete and practical advice, nobody should skip what’s in the forum.

Yep exactly. If I could somehow make a hotkey trigger that script, I think I’d have everything just about the way I want it. I know almost nothing about AppleScript, but will check if maybe there’s a 3RD party utility that can do this for me.

The global Scripts menu extra doesn’t seem to support custom shortcuts but maybe FastScripts by Red Sweater Software does.

1 Like

Here is a solution using Keyboard Maestro (chosen for its popularity amongst our clientele)

For cleanliness, I made an Apple Mail macro group and created the macro within it.

Then I created a macro with the same name as the script, to make it simple and obvious.

• The macro is set to only run when Apple Mail is active.
  • The macro actually uses the same hotkeys as our Apple Mail plugin, for those with that muscle memory trained.
  • The macro runs the same DEVONthink-provided script as is foudn in the global Scripts menu.

And here is the KM Macro you can download and install:
Add messages to DEVONthink.kmmacros.zip (1.4 KB)

Note:

• You should give Keyboard Maestro Full Disk Access in System Settings > Privacy & Security before setting this up.
  • You will likely have to answer one or two Automation prompts from the OS. Allow both.
1 Like

I’ve used MailActOn from SmallCubed for many years to do this (~d is my shortcut to send a message to DT–but it’s going away due to changes in Mail… :frowning:

I posted something to the MacUsers forum a while back on how I replaced MailActOn using Keyboard Maestro

https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/the-death-of-an-awesome-workflow-and-seeking-help-for-mail-tags-devonthink/13447

I still use the exact same technique today.

Rick

2 Likes

Thanks so much, I’m definitely going to check out Keyboard Maestro right now. In a way, helping me solve this problem may have helped me to solve a few other unrelated problems given what Keyboard Maestro can do. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

Bear in mind, there are other solutions as well. I’m not a KM user myself, but it was a simple matter to whip that up for those that are.

Not sure what the best solution is… I am using the global script to add mailbox … it is painfully slow… i wish there was a way to just keep adding to a devonthink db for my email … and not duplicate emails if you keep adding emails, assuming you arent careful when updating that dbase.