Scanner recommended

… and speaking of ScanSnap, has anyone looked into the new ScanSnap iX1500 (that’s 1500, not 500 and iX not S)? Any thoughts?

Having done more searching on the Scansnap website, I find that the Scansnap Home app appears to be a replacement for the ScanSnap Manager (choice of either one on High Sierra, but for Mojave, installing ScanSnap Home will also delete ScanSnap Manager). I’m guessing that the Home app is (eventually) a replacement for Manager.

And the Home app is not yet fully compatible with DTPO (according to Jim). I’m on High Sierra now but will eventually upgrade to Mojave, so my ScanSnap Manager is still the one I use. However, the question I have is…

In High Sierra, can I have both ScanSnap Manager and ScanSnap Home installed (but just keep Manager open for daily use of the ScanSnap iX500)? I would use the Manager to install the firmware.

Nope. ScanSnap Home is compatible with High Sierra as well but it uninstalls ScanSnap Manager.

However, despite the lack of integration, you can use the OCR Fujitsu provides and still set the output application to DEVONthink. This way you’d still receive OCR’d scans from your scanner.

One of the reasons I use the DTPO OCR is that I have it set to not to Enter metadata after OCRing. ScanSnap Manager doesn’t have such a feature, so it slows me down a lot (having to enter the metadata after each OCR).

Does the new ScanSnap Home allow not setting metadata after each OCR? If not, that’s almost a dealbreaker for me; I’d rather wait for DT to provide full compatibility with moving scans from ScanSnap to DTPO, where DTPO would then do the OCR.

It must, because I’m NEVER prompted for it. However, it’s not any setting I’ve changed. I am only aware of DEVONthink’s option.

I use a ScanSnap iX500. Being able to scan both sides at that speed removes a lot of friction out of the process of getting documents into DevonThink.

Thanks, Jim. I installed Home and things are working correctly under High Sierra.

“the new app is :open_mouth: :laughing:

That is an understatement!

@pvonk: No doubt! :mrgreen:

Jim:

I was waiting to update my Mac Pro to Mojave for Fujitsu to make the manager compatible. They are behind the 8 ball as usual, which is always very frustrating. I installed the new home app, which of course deleted the manager app and all of my settings. I HATE the new home app. I hate that I lost the integration the most of all and wish I had just updated to Mojave and waited to see if the manager worked. Too late now…

Anyway, I have the new home app and the Fujitsu ABBYY fine writer installed but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the OCR to work in scansnap home. Every time I scan , it goes into Devonthink and I get a log error indicating there is “no text” . Even if I go to the scanned document in the scansnap home app, right click on it, click redo OCR recognition, it says “recognizing”, completes, and then if I manually sent it to devon think - right click – send to devon think, it still comes across as “no text”

Ug. This scansnap update has completely broken my workflow!

Do you have an suggestions?

currently running DTPO 2.10.1 , mac os 10.13.6 on Mac Pro.

It won’t work. That is the integration with DEVONthink - the importing is defined by the Send To option in ScanSnap Home, but the integration would trigger OCR automatically in DEVONthink. You can set ScanSnap Home to do the OCR instead for the time being (or permanently, if desired).

Jim:

I understand the built in functionality is no longer there. I have read through all of the scansnap and abbyy manuals, but I can’t figure out how to make ScanSnap Home do the OCR for me.

Well, I tried to put the scansnap manager back on through time machine and ended up with quite a mess. Couldn’t get the manager to run at all, so I am time machine to restore the whole computer back to early this am before I started this upgrade travesty.

On a different note, does the old Snapscan manager work under Mojave at all? Does anyone have experience with this? For now, I guess I will stay on High Sierra so my workflow doesn’t get disrupted.

thanks for the input

dale allen

It’s under the Edit Settings > Detailed Profiles > File Format

… and for the same reason DTP Office is not able to delete the original = put the original in trash although the box is checked in settings/OCR?
thanks …

Correct. That would be up to ScanSnap Home to offer (and they don’t, from what I see). The integration should be coming in the next maintenance release. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jim:

Thanks for your answers and patience! I missed that setting when I was setting up the Home app.

Dale

@shadowboxer: My pleasure. The new interface in ScanSnap Home is not very intuitive, but the same controls are there somewhere :smiley:

new version ScanSnap Home 1.0.12 (69)
DTP performs OCR (disabled in ScanSnap Home, enabled in DTP), but won’t delete the original document although button checked

I’m jumping in here but do let me know if its better to start a new thread…

I have an old (!) ScanSnap S1500 which is still in perfect working order… I recently changed my iMac (lease ended) and when installing new iMac (i always do from scratch and copy over) i came unstuck with my scanner software.

I did recall a long conversation with Fujisu tech support when my old scanner messed up the frequency of the PDF pages after updating to High Sierra. They told me the no longer supported (my perfectly functioning, and expensive scanner!!) but i could download a similar bit of sofware as a work round. I did this and it was working OK.

However… when working on my new iMac, while the scanner still works, it no longer allows me to choose which database or folder I wish to send the newly scanned PDF to. I get a dialog box and a number (date / time etc) and then it goes to the global inbox. This is most frustrating as my workflow is set up to send to certain folders which automatically tag the newly imported PDFs…

I did wonder if I could ask DTP to reinstall the add on for ScanSnap but this is greyed out… can anyone help? I hope I don’t need to spend more money on a scanner just to fix this when i have a perfectly functioning scanner sitting on my desk…

thoughts?

best regards,
Joe
PS running latest version of DTP Office and MacOs High Sierra. ScanSnap is set up to scan to DTPO as an app (I added the app) - and I’ve tried various versions of ScanSnap software which, tho I can get to work, all have the same problem as above.

@joe:

This is controlled by DEVONthink’s Preferences > Import > Destination, not the ScanSnap integration.