Scanner recommended

Thanks Jim,
DUH!!!
I had spent hours on this… now sorted and my old(!) ScanSnap S1500 working like a dream again
much obliged!
Joe

PS is anyone else would like a link to the download of the old scansnap manager software you can still get it on Fujitsu website here: fujitsu.com/global/support/p … 2.html#wwa

You’re welcome. :smiley:

Yes, I’m waiting for that, too. I might set up Hazel to do this for me in the interim …

I use hazel for that.
Automatically deletes after 30 days.
Quite simple to set up.
Best regards, Joe

sorry since the last update 1.0.12 (69) obviously DTP is able to delete the original files after OCR. maybe only after restarting DTP :unamused: all files in trash since then …
today I installed 1.0.20 (5) - everything’s fine … so far

The king is dead - long live the king!

The thread-starter asked for recommended document scanners, and still today, the Fujitsu Scansnap series have been “numero Uno” for document-scanning (automation).

BUT, I think it is time to test other scanners and software with the mac/DTPO-automation procedure. The main reason for this is already mentioned - the old ScanSnap Manager is outdated because of 32b, and the replacement ScanSnap Home is an ugly joke with limitations.

If someone is willing to invest $250-300 and the time to start the digitalization process at home or work, I find it important to issue some major things about the Fujitsu scanning software.
MacPowerUsers(?) discussed this not long time ago in their podcast:

1. If you downgrade to the old ScanSnap Manager again, this will no longer be an option after the next MacOs update, because then no longer the 32b apps will be allowed - you will be forced to keep a dedicated mac (on witch you can never update the OS) for the automation functionality of the older ScanSnap Manager.

2. Beside the limited functionality of the 64b ScanSnap Home (witch “may” get better with updates), a big minus is still the limitation of licenses; the new ScanSnap software must be activated, and will only support ONE mac if you upgrade your license (for users who want to keep using their old model).

If you buy a new model, you get only 4 licenses when you register and activate your new scanner from Fujitsu. This means you have software restrictions, and may not take your $300 scanner to work or friend.
You might also maybe have to buy new licenses if you should by an used Fujitsu scanner…

With this in mind, I hope the community will test out the functionality of other document scanners as well, and keep the updates on these pages :slight_smile:

Great post WhyO,
I wholehearedly agree
the way fujitsu has/is handling this is very poor.
my S1500 has served me well, and i’m probably going to be in the market for a replacement in the next 6 months so would be up for being part of a group that trails other options and feeds back to the DTPO community.
best regards,
Joe

Can someone point me to any updates to this? I’m in the market for a scanner to work with DT3. I create and need to scan documents varying in size from 2x2" to 36x24" (larger sizes are not required), and also scan from books. Over half my scans will be hand-written text and/or drawings/images. Am considering the ScanSnap SV600 (max paper size: 17.0 x 11.8 in). I suspect to meet my needs I will also need a “regular” letter-size scanner. More than happy to consider all options. Must work well with DT3. Thx.

(Added) Has ScanSnap Home software become acceptable to the DT community?