Set default window size and zoom for PDFs?

Hi all -

When I open PDFs from within DT Pro, I’d like them to always open the same way:

  • sized to maximum height for my screen
  • sized as wide as necessary to allow “zoom to full page”, but no wider
  • sidebar open

I’d be delighted for behavior no more complicated than “open each new PDF with the same window size and zooming as the last PDF opened”! Or if more complicated settings specifying height/width/zoom etc are necessary, I’m happy to do that too.

I’ve read a whole bunch of posts looking for a solution, but without luck. And I’m probably missing something, but I’ve gone through the Settings and haven’t seen anything there either.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks to all!

-Michigan User

I use PDF Expert as default PDF viewer in macOS. Then double click opens externally in DT. PDF Expert respects window size, position and view format.

I don’t know if it works in latest macOS, but closing a Window pressing Option key saves the position for next openings.

2 Likes

oh that’s interesting, and potentially appealing bc PDF Expert is my go-to iPad markup app so I"m inclined to trust it on laptop. I’d figured that using external apps to open might create unforeseeable glitches, but it sounds like you’ve been happy with it?

And I’ve played with different “hold down Option” options (so to speak)–resize it holding Option; move it holding Option; etc–all without success. I hadn’t tried “close while holding option” though! Weirdly for me, that closes all open DT windows, including the sorting window. And then when I reopen it’s the same damn small size PDF window lol.

Thanks for both suggestions – much appreciated : )

I used PDF Expert on my iPads before switching to DTTG, and then I moved to PDF Viewer (the same framework that DTTG itself uses) because PDF Expert wasn’t working very well for me. On macOS, however, it works flawlessly; in fact, I only handle PDFs with it because it’s the only app that doesn’t mess them up, DT included.

If you open a PDF externally from DT, it recognizes that the file is being handled outside the app and updates accordingly whenever external changes are made.

1 Like