Smart Rules Folders For Better Organization

I have been using KM for around a year or so and remember I looked at both KM and BTT (and Alfred Packs) to decide what I wanted to use. I found this helpful in getting a better understanding.

My main usage of KM today is:

1. text snippets (e.g. see here), date snippets, question snippets, shortcuts for smilies > primarily for email communication and slack, etc
  2. window management > i.e. open devonthink and browser in this and that setup on the monitor
  3. management of specific programmes like Devonthink, iThoughts, iTunes, etc which are not always easy to navigate with my own palettes and/or shortcuts. Specifically for DT I do use a pretty big palette which I created for myself.
  4. markdown shortcuts to create all types of markdown syntax when creating notes in md
  5. bluetooth management while connecting various devices

I also implemented a lot of site bookmarks but tend to use Alfred’s “Web search” for that increasingly (and it is awesome) e.g. when searching on this forum I have an Alfred’s Web search which goes directly into the search menu with the text I am search for. But e.g. have a KM macro which actually opens Alfred’s settings directly for me.

I found this source super helpful as I tried to understand how KM works.

Thank you for the LINKs.
Do you find the CPU usage a lot or normal?

Not directly an answer but maybe interesting

1 Like

Thank you Pit

I think super normal. In my case the KM engine process ~ 0.3-0.5% CPU, and around 150MB Memory.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Any updates on adding better organization (folders) to smart rules?

1 Like

Nothing to report at this time.

It has been almost 2 years :slight_smile:

Will you guys also touch the Favorites, Smart Groups, and Opened Data Bases sections for Organizing?

I know this thread was regarding Smart Rules organization, so wondering if you guys will also apply this organization to the rest of the sidebar sections, like Favorites?

When I use DevonThink if I’m only working on School I would like to have just Favorites of whatever im work with the rest of favourites would like it hidden.

Right now I have Favorites, from all categories, I cant choose a group and display that group and hide the rest.

Planned but no concrete news right now.

1 Like

Bumping this up again - any hope for Smart Rules folders and Favorites folders?

These would be immensely useful

1 Like

Nothing to report at this time.

Is it a hard thing to implement software-wise?

Or is it just that Devontech doesn’t think this would be of interest to enough users?

We are aware of the usefulness for people using many favorites or smart groups and rules. However, the implementation, especially regarding the smart rules, has to consider more than merely segregating the items as there can be interplay between them in their order.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed the team will figure it out. With better organization, there is endless potential for automation with smar rules via Devonthink and might position DT yet again in another product category very strongly.

+1 for being able to being able to better organize many smart rules

Bumping up my post from 2019.

1 Like

+1

+1

+1

1 Like