Smart Rules Folders For Better Organization

I think super normal. In my case the KM engine process ~ 0.3-0.5% CPU, and around 150MB Memory.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Any updates on adding better organization (folders) to smart rules?

1 Like

Nothing to report at this time.

It has been almost 2 years :slight_smile:

Will you guys also touch the Favorites, Smart Groups, and Opened Data Bases sections for Organizing?

I know this thread was regarding Smart Rules organization, so wondering if you guys will also apply this organization to the rest of the sidebar sections, like Favorites?

When I use DevonThink if Iā€™m only working on School I would like to have just Favorites of whatever im work with the rest of favourites would like it hidden.

Right now I have Favorites, from all categories, I cant choose a group and display that group and hide the rest.

1 Like

Planned but no concrete news right now.

1 Like

Bumping this up again - any hope for Smart Rules folders and Favorites folders?

These would be immensely useful

1 Like

Nothing to report at this time.

Is it a hard thing to implement software-wise?

Or is it just that Devontech doesnā€™t think this would be of interest to enough users?

We are aware of the usefulness for people using many favorites or smart groups and rules. However, the implementation, especially regarding the smart rules, has to consider more than merely segregating the items as there can be interplay between them in their order.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed the team will figure it out. With better organization, there is endless potential for automation with smar rules via Devonthink and might position DT yet again in another product category very strongly.

+1 for being able to being able to better organize many smart rules

Bumping up my post from 2019.

2 Likes

+1

+1

+1

1 Like

I got tired of waiting for Smart Rule folders, so I created a hack which is to add non-functioning Smart Rules and use them as dividers.

I am stumped to understand why the DT developers are so stubborn on this issue. How hard can it be, honestly, to create a hierarchical system for the Smart Folder list. I just did it. I love the tool, but the devs are super arrogant.

With respect, I donā€™t think this post indicated ā€œsuper arroganceā€ but rather, programming challenges that need to be addressed with some care. See, for example, this post which indicates one of the considerations.

I do not find the developers ā€œarrogantā€ and very much appreciate that every release works and is solid. I have too much valuable information in my DEVONthink databases to take risks with ill considered programming.

Stephen

5 Likes

There is no stubbornness on this matter. We have a list of things to do or could be done that would take longer than all our combined lifetimes to accomplish.

How hard can it be, honestly, to create a hierarchical system for the Smart Folder list. I just did it.

If your method satisfies you, thatā€™s great!
However, what you consider trivial is not trivial at all. This is not a mere cosmetic adjustment. Smart rulesā€™ behavior can depend on rules that came before them. Segregation of rules could lead to unintended behavior or break intentional behavior using the order of rules.

4 Likes

I do not agree with this statement. And I doubt that it helps to get your request any nearer to realization, too.

As a side note: When I see a ton of rules that do Auto-tag this, Auto-tag that, and Auto-tag somethingelse, Iā€™m quite certain that someone is going for a brute force approach instead of a simpler one: Writing a script that scans the text for (a) keyword(s) and then applies the relevant tag(s) itself. A single smart rule executing this script would get rid of a ton of individual smart rules. And possibly of the need to ā€œfolderā€ them. Also, it would offer a lot more flexibility (if itā€™s well written) since one would only have to add a keyword : tag pair to it for a Auto-tag anothertag rule.

4 Likes