Strange inbox behaviors since updating to 3.8.6

Hello. I’ve been experiencing some strange inbox behaviors since updating to 3.8.6. Essentially, any changes I make in the inbox aren’t reflected until I click out and back in. For example, if I move a file to another database, it’ll still show in the inbox until I click on another database and then back on the inbox.

Also, files saved to the inbox via the Finder favorites bar are stuck there and don’t show up in the inbox until I quit and reopen DT. I reinstalled the Global Inbox in Save Dialogs add-on but that didn’t fix it.

I’m running DTPO on a M1 Mac mini running MacOS 12.6.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate it! Thanks.

I have seen that happen before (and prior to 3.8.6) when a complex script is running (specifically this one).

Perhaps restart DT; if the problem recurs perhaps try deactivating any smart rules using scripts, restart and try again.

I’ve seen this behavior prior to 3.8.6 as well. Usually when I delete a file.
Sometimes the deleted item(s) have a strikethrough.

Going to a different folder and coming back usually would refresh the view with the actual contents of the folder.

• Everyone on an Apple Silicon Mac here?
  • All doing OCR processes, especially via smart rules?

Thanks everyone. After troubleshooting this a bit more, I noticed the behaviors weren’t limited to the inbox. Moving items between groups or databases also required clicking in and out of the group to see the change reflected.

I don’t run any complex scripts. The only active smart rule I have is to OCR PDFs upon arrival in the inbox.

I uninstalled and reinstalled DT and everything is back to normal now.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
Monterey 12.4 (21F79) (cannot update to latest at the moment due to space issues and I am at a rural location)
OCR for images, yes, via smart rule.

Thanks for the follow-up. That is strange indeed but we’re glad to hear it’s behaving now.

Do you see the same behavior of you disable the smart rule?

I had deleted some files since morning, while the rule was enabled. And I had not faced this problem (strikethrough) either today or last couple days (as far as I can recall).

So, I just disabled the rule now, made some copies of some records (pdf, text, web location), and deleted them. They deleted fine. (Global Inbox, root, not in any folder)

Thanks!
Let us know if you see the strange behavior again after enabling the smart rule.

No, I’ve seen this happen on an Intel Mac too, I think; and I’ve certainly seen it with no apparent relation to OCR.

@blanc, @hramakr & @cd0277 - which view do you use? A screenrecording or screenshots before/after moving items to the trash would be great, just like the source of all scripts of smart rules that might have any impact when trashing items. Thank you!

I’ll keep an eye out for this, so I can take screenshots/video.

I always use List View and Widescreen (occasionally Standard).

Here’s the smart rule I use for OCR.

Thanks for the info.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks! Maybe there’s a hint in the logs.

I’ll try and remember next time it happens

1 Like

I think I figured out what caused this behavior for me. It seems to be related to the number (or size) of documents added as favorites. After reinstalling DT everything worked fine until I added a large folder and one 400mb PDF file as favorites. That’s when it started again. As soon as I removed those files, everything went back to normal.

The favorites shouldn’t affect the main view actually. Screenshots would be great, thank you!

I’m seeing a lot of issues which may or may not be the same as noted above; I’m adding to this thread because the signature issue in the same. MacBook Air M1, Ventura 13.0.1. It’s making DT almost unusable.

1. Deleting a file causes it to be struck through rather than deleting. This isn’t limited to Inboxes; I’m also seeing it elsewhere including in the results of Smart Rules.

2. Smart Rules are showing the results but they aren’t / can’t be executed either automatically or on demand.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.30.19 AM

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.24.45 AM

1. Using ‘Open with’, editing a file (in this case, using PDF Squeezer) then saving isn’t updating the record - e.g. the file size is wrong.

Show in Finder command results…

Have you restarted you Mac, and does the problem persist? Are you running any rules with scripts? Try deactivating them temporarily. I think what you describe can happen when a rule goes into an infinite loop.