Unable to edit DTTG 3 PDF in PDF Expert - SOLVED

We clearly stated it in the release notes (which were too long for the App Store, unfortunately). We have contacted Readdle a second time now but no reply so far.

3 Likes

As i recall, the release notes were concerned with whether the new open in functionality worked; rather than whether the previous functionality had been broken. And I wouldnā€™t have known where to look for release notes until i updated to DTTG3.

1 Like

Same problem here. Downloaded PDF Viewer App to see if might be able to annotate dttg documents in it but no joy. Very disappointing.

what did the PDF app vendor say about this ?

We donā€™t control this behavior.
For example, Highlights and Acrobat work as expected.

1 Like

I have heard good things about highlights app. Will give it a try. Thanks.

Highlights is good (if rather expensive) but PDF Expert is perhaps better feature-wise. Highlights supports only highlighting and typed notes which it can nicely display and extract, but it does not support annotating anywhere on the page with a pencil (which is a bit of a downside for me). So two similar but different use cases really, depending on whether you want to annotate the document with a pencil or whether you want to have your notes easily exported.

I have contacted Readdle support to try to get them to look into this and they have asked me to describe my workflow, so I will try to send them a screen recording. It would be so much easier if they could simply get in touch with Devontech though to see where the issue is.

2 Likes

GoodReader also seems to work in that regard

1 Like

As noted above, we have contacted Readdle twice and havenā€™t received a response so far.

Perhaps you can help @BLUEFROG and DEVON Technologies and contact Readdle and ask them to fix what needs fixing.

Thatā€™s what I did just now; I also sent a screen recording highlighting (no pun intended) the issue and what happens when editing files in place when using DTTG with PDF Expert vs when using Highlights.

I hope they get back to Devon Technologies so they can work on resolving this together.

1 Like

To keep you updated: We emailed them a week ago but didnā€™t get a reply yet.

Iā€™m not sure if this will help, but I encountered a similar problem while using pspdfkitā€™s pdf viewer, I emailed their support and got this response:

"Iā€™d recommend to read: [iOS] Issues with Cloud Storage Providers | FAQ for PDF Viewer Pro by PSPDFKit

Iā€™ve installed DEVONThink To Go to test it and youā€™re right. Annotations are lost. Iā€™ve also tested it with other cloud storage providers (iCloud, Dropbox, ā€¦) and it works as expected. To give you more context, hereā€™s how it works internally:

• Document browser is a system component (you can verify it in the Files.app, same interface)
  • Once you select a file to open (in PDF Viewer), PDF Viewer gets a location we can read the file content from
  • PDF Viewer can write to the same location to save all the changes
  • Everything else is handled by the system (iOS) and respective cloud storage providers applications

Apple tried to make it easier for users, but they also created something which is hard to explain to any application users and is buggy."

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this.

Has there been any contact with PDF Expert developers yet?
I tested and DTTG 3 successfully keeps track of annotations made with other 3rd party PDF annotating tools such as KDan PDF.

1 Like

I have opened a ticket with Readdle about two weeks ago and have sent them all the logs they requested in the meantime. I have been told yesterday that the QA team is assessing this.

I have also politely asked them to get in touch with Devon Technologies if possible, as last we heard from Eric was that they have not responded to Devon Techā€™s emails.

I would suggest you open a support ticket with Readdle as well as this will highlight that more users are experiencing the same issue and this will perhaps encourage them to get in touch with DT.

6 Likes

done!

I tried KDan PDF and found that the apple pencil annotation were not compatible. Maybe just the highlighting transfers?

Readdle has received a redeem code so that they can test from their side. They have not requested TestFlight access yet even though we offered it. It seems access to their developers is managed through an outside contact person relaying all messages. Weā€™re now waiting.

2 Likes

I have the same issues with PDF Viewer (PSPDFKit). I open a PDF from the DTTG 3 database there via the files integration.

I make annotations and they are not synced back to DTTG 3. This was working well with DTTG 2.

I use sync via WebDAV.

1 Like