Upgrade using iCloud

I am very much looking forward to upgrading ASAP. However, I would like to avoid any complications.

This thread describes a process to prepare before upgrading:

Upgrade to version 3 - best practices

This thread and blog post warn about using iCloud to sync data:

On upgrade from 2. to 3.0 - what I need to do

The State of iCloud

I have used iCloud for several years to sync my data. Thus, it would be helpful to understand the pathway to upgrade, just to make sure I am not missing a small detail before I do so.

Main points to clarify:

1. I presume I install DTP3, tell it to use the databases I have on disk locally, after which I can delete DTPO2, as well as the files to be moved that are mentioned in the first link above.
  2. Do I change anything with my syncing protocol over iCloud? Does everything remain in place, or do I have to sync all my data again? In other words, how do I tell my DTP3 to use the current synced data?
  3. Can I move the databases to the new folder for DTP3?

I apologize if these questions seem simple. DTP is critical to my data, and I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up.

Thanks!

1. I presume I install DTP3, tell it to use the databases I have on disk locally, after which I can delete DTPO2, as well as the files to be moved that are mentioned in the first link above.

Yes, you just open the databases in DEVONthink 3, ideally after removing DEVONthink 2, just to not confuse the operating system if you double-clicked them.

1. Do I change anything with my syncing protocol over iCloud? Does everything remain in place, or do I have to sync all my data again? In other words, how do I tell my DTP3 to use the current synced data?

The easiest option is set up the sync location in DEVONthink 3 and you’ll see a message under the databases’ names about merging with the remote data.

Technically, you could quit DEVONthink 3 and you should be able to move the Cloudy folder from ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 to DEVONthink 3.

1. Can I move the databases to the new folder for DTP3?

If the databases are closed, the yes you can move the .dtBase2 files.

Thank you for the quick and organized response, Bluefrog.

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Just to follow up on your detailed instructions:

I closed the databases in DTPO 2, installed DT Pro 3, and it migrated the inbox to the DEVONthink 3 folder in the Library.

The Cloudy folder in DEVONthink 2 shrank considerably in size, and it appears that it was moved to the same DEVONthink 3 folder in the Library (where it is the original size of the Cloudy folder in the DEVONthink 2 folder).

I have the databases stored in my user folder, along with folders for Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, etc. DT3 can open these databases from this location.

So:

1. Can I delete the original Inbox from the DEVONthink 2 folder?
  2. I assume I can leave the databases where they are, which worked for version 2 and appears to be working for version 3.
  3. If the Cloudy folder has already been automatically moved to DEVONthink 3, do I need to change any sync settings?

Thanks!

I see my Inbox in Preferences->Sync, which has synchronized.

But each of my other databases is listed under ‘Remote,’ and my choices are:

Import Database
Import Encrypted Database
(Synchronize Database is grayed out)

Not sure which is the safest way to set up sync again.

1. Can I delete the original Inbox from the DEVONthink 2 folder?

An actual DEVONthink 2 folder? That would be from a DEVONthink Personal installation. If so, then yes you could delete it too, assuming you’re not using Personal any longer.

1. I assume I can leave the databases where they are, which worked for version 2 and appears to be working for version 3.

Yes, it sounds like their in a safe location.

1. If the Cloudy folder has already been automatically moved to DEVONthink 3, do I need to change any sync settings?

You shouldn’t but - if you were using an encryption key, you may need to enter it when you enable the location.

But each of my other databases is listed under ‘Remote,’ and my choices are:

That’s because you haven’t opened up the databases in DEVONthink 3 yet. Open them and they’ll appear in the Local section.

Thanks for the quick and organized response, as usual. I appreciate it.

To follow up, hopefully this also helps anybody else upgrading:

The folder from the prior version is DEVONthink Pro 2, to be exact.

I am leaving the databases where they are, they are working as they should.

Yes, I am using an encryption key. So what I did was to use the menu at the bottom for each DB listed as remote, then ‘Import Encrypted Database,’ and then each synchronized quickly. I tried adding a file to my DTTG, and over a few minutes it automatically synced to the Desktop DB. All works as expected.

As regards your final point, I actually HAD opened each of these DBs locally. I don’t know why the program didn’t recognize it, and the set up is a bit confusing because of this.

Thanks again for the guidance. I look forward to all the new exciting features in version 3! Great work.

As regards your final point, I actually HAD opened each of these DBs locally. I don’t know why the program didn’t recognize it, and the set up is a bit confusing because of this.

Any open databases should have appeared in the Local section. Are you saying they didn’t??

If so, I would do a Spotlight search in the Finder for kind:database dtBase2 to see if you now have multiple databases with the same name but aren’t actually true copies of the databases.

Thank you.

I did as you suggested, and there is only one copy of each DB.

Under Prefs->Sync, each showed up as Remote, but after Importing Encrypted Database, they now show up as Local. However, before I set up sync, I could open each in standard form by navigating to the folder that houses them.

I’m not sure how I am creating confusion, I apologize if I am not explaining things adequately. As of now, as far as I can tell, each DB is opening and closing correctly; each is listed under Prefs->Sync as Local, the Cloudy folder has been automatically moved to DEVONthink 3 from DEVONthink Pro 2 in the Library, and when I add a file to DTTG, it shows up on my desktop as expected.

1. I wanted to ensure I did not screw up my data, since I rely heavily on DT.
  2. I wanted to share the process with anybody else that might find the steps helpful.

Please let me know if I can clarify in any other way, and, again, thanks for your time and help.

• Why did you use the Import Encrypted Database option?

• Did you specify the size and an encryption key on import?

Bluefrog-

I have always had an encryption key, as I have some PHI that is protected under HIPAA.

As regards your second question, no, I did not specify the size. The encryption key was stored in DTPO 2, and I assume it was imported into DT Pro 3 on installation.

We are talking on two grooves of the same record :stuck_out_tongue:

Importing Encrypted Database

This imports a database as an encrypted database. This is completely distinct from using an encryption key for a sync location.

As regards your second question, no, I did not specify the size. The encryption key was stored in DTPO 2, and I assume it was imported into DT Pro 3 on installation.

Then you must not have chosen Import Encrypted Database… or something seems amiss, if so.

Two grooves, no problem.

So what is the difference between the encryption key and the encrypted DB, if I might ask? Sorry to have created confusion.

No worries.

Regarding the encryption key on a sync location, per the built-in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync

Regarding an encrypted database, per the Help > Documentation > Getting Started > Building Your Satabase

So the former is used for keeping sync data private, wherever it is stored.
The latter is used for keeping your database contents private.

Thanks for the detailed clarification.

In my case, I don’t see a key icon by the DBs in my navigation bar, but there is a key in the Sync panel of Preferences by iCloud. I am guessing that this means my sync location is synced, but not my databases. Would that be correct?

Sorry, I’m tired ‘my sync location is synced’ should read ‘my sync location is encrypted.’

Correct. :slight_smile: