On upgrade from 2. to 3.0 - what I need to do

I have been using DevonThink Pro Office 2.11.3 on macOS 10.14.6.

My databases are located in ~/DevonThinkPro

Just installed DevonThink 3.0 (not un-installed 2.11.3 yet).

Do I need to do anything in terms of moving or copying the databases to another location?

Or can I just open the databases in 3.0?

I do not seem to be able to find anything specifically on this in the help files on this point.

1 Like

You can just open the v2 databases in v3… they are compatible.

Thank you for the replies.

I opened the v2 databases in v3 and it worked perfectly. I restarted my computer today and don’t see them again. What do I need to do to completely have DT3 to open always the databases? I want to be sure it works before deleting DT2. or what should I do?

Welcome @applexis
DEVONthink will reopen any databases that were open when DEVONthink is quit normally.

Open the databases in DEVONthink, then quit it. It should opens them again.

1 Like

Thank you! It worked.
Now that I have DT3 and with the databases opened in them, what should I do with DT2? can I simply throw the application from the application folder to the trash? or should I delete or do something else to make this properly?

Yes, at a minimum you can delete DEVONthink Pro (Office) from the /Applications folder.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @BLUEFROG!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

@BLUEFROG I have DT Pro, not Office. How do I delete that, do I just delete the app?
I also have a folder “DevonThink Pro” that include four folders: Bookmarklets, Scripts, Widgets and Workflows. Do I leave those?
Most of these have 2017 or earlier “date modified”
I must admit I probably don’t use the app completely
Thank you

do I just delete the app?

Yes, you can.

I also have a folder “DevonThink Pro” that include four folders: Bookmarklets, Scripts, Widgets and Workflows. Do I leave those?

This is a very old resource, so yes you can delete that too.

Hello there, I am following the same instructions. Opened the DT2 databases with DT3, closed it and found it opens them again flawlessly.

However, the old DT2 databases are still in the “documents” folder (where I created a directory for them) and they still have the dtBase2 extension. On the other hand the root directory called “databases” (it has the DT3 icon on it) is empty.

Should I leave the situation as such or move all the DT2 databases in the new location, reopen them from there and erase the old ‘empty’ directory ? Will the dtBase2 extension ever change into something else?
Thanks

Welcome @andrearicci

However , the old DT2 databases are still in the “documents” folder (where I created a directory for them) and they still have the dtBase2 extension. On the other hand the root directory called “databases” (it has the DT3 icon on it) is empty.

As long as you’re not using iCloud’s disk manangement, it should be fine. We do advocate using the Databases folder as a precaution, but as long as you don’t enable the Desktop and Documents option for iCloud, it’s fine.

Should I leave the situation as such or move all the DT2 databases in the new location, reopen them from there and erase the old ‘empty’ directory ? Will the dtBase2 extension ever change into something else?
Thanks

And no, the extension won’t change. DEVONthink’s database file format remains the same between version 2 and 3. This means you can easily open your existing databases in DEVONthink 3, with no “conversion” or “migration” needed.

Thanks BLUEFROG
In case I wanted to be on the safe side (and use iCloud in the future) I can:
a) close DT3
b) transfer all the old databases into the Database folder
c) reopen DT3 and open the databases from the new location (maybe this step will be automatic)
d) erase the old directory
Am I right ?
Thanks for your assistance!
I am enthusiastic about the upgrade !

Yep. That would work.
:slight_smile:

Indeed !
Thanks

Hi,

I just upgraded to DT3. Underneath Open Databases there is my main inbox. But under Globals there is an Inbox which is empty. Did I do something wrong?

16 Screenshot 2019-12-04 16.31.16!

Do you have DT 2 still installed and can it be the Inbox under Open Databases, the one with 1120 items, is the Global Inbox of DT 2 and you have opened it like a normal database in DT 3?

You clearly have a database named Inbox here.

Web%20Image%202019-12-04%2016-47-19

Its Inbox is empty and there’s no requirement for the Inbox of a database to have anything in it.