Using IOS14 automation shortcuts to sync DTTG

Hi all - Macsparky over at the automators and Macpower User forums has mentioned several times using IOS14 automation shortcuts to sync his DTTG databases while he is fast asleep. This would be a super helpful trick to deal with one of my frustrations of DTTG (namely having my rather databases constantly out of sync, and having to wait some time to get the up to speed before using them). Has anyone come up with an automation that works? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Macsparky over at the automators and Macpower User forums has mentioned several times using IOS14 automation shortcuts to sync his DTTG databases while he is fast asleep.

He hasn’t offered his shortcuts or any information on them?

1 Like

No! Rather frustrating, as he keeps mentioning them in podcasts, but isn’t responding to those of us wanting to implement them. Busy guy, so perhaps he’ll respond at some point :wink:

I am curious too as there is no command or URL scheme for syncing DEVONthink To Go via Shortcuts.

I‘m using this x-callback url in a shortcut:
x-devonthinktogo://resync

1 Like

I think he just has a shortcut set to trigger at 2 am to launch DTTG.

2 Likes

Any chance you’d be willing to share that shortcut? [Edit: Never mind – much easier than I expected. Thanks!]

Oh, that’s an interesting approach. This actually also deletes sync status and forces a complete re-sync so it definitely produces some overhead. With push notifications this shouldn’t be necessary.

Yes, that’s what Sparks said.

@aroddick, @FlohGro, et al:
Following up on @eboehnisch‘s comments - as this is a maintenance routine, I would not suggest using this as a sync refresh.

1 Like

Any idea how he gets around the lock screen?

Nope, but he has his own forum so he or someone there might post the answer for you.

1 Like

Lol, bouncing between forums and korm/quorm. But no biggie - hopefully sparky will follow up at some point. Have a good night.

I‘m not using this regularly, but if my DTTG is out of sync what would be the better option?

Opening the application and letting it sync.

Obviously… but if it’s not syncing after several reopening?

Obviously… but if it’s not syncing after several reopening?

In this case, of course, the x-devonthink://resync command is always a good first step. Others include checking if the sync location is set up correctly, all networks connections work as expected, etc.

2 Likes