View options in widescreen list view

I’d like to suggest that there should be other options for the widescreen list view, where, in each row in the list:

• The title becomes wrapped in the row’s ‘cell’, so that the list column can be made narrower without losing summary information.

• The first 1, 2 or 3 ‘summary’ lines of the document (if there are any) could be optionally shown underneath the title, similarly wrapped.

• The preview could be larger.

• There could be other additional options to show file-size, etc. in the row-cell.

This “extended but compacted summary list view” would make taller rows (depending on how many options are selected), but it would afford much more information at a glance, and in a column which could be narrower, without having to have a stupendously wide row to show everything you’d like to see.

I’m working on a 27-inch iMac, yet there’s still not enough width in the “widescreen list view” to show a decent summary information for an item. Or, if I make DT3’s window as wide as the screen (which is certainly not always optimal), the list just looks ridiculously wide, but narrowing it up again loses visible summary information. And wouldn’t this suggestion benefit views on smaller screens as well, perhaps even more?

At the very least, there should be an option for view column selections such as “kind” to collapse to the file extension when the column is sized to be too narrow for the full file-kind description (e.g., “Rich Text Document” should collapse to “RTF”).

I know such options would make me happier whilst using one of my favourite macOS apps. What do others think?

1 Like

I like it, it reminds me of Outlook with mail preview on the right.

Sorry - which do you like? The way it is, or my suggestion?

I like your suggestion, it sounds like a more efficient use of the available space.