Woo Hoo! DTPO 3.0 (Beta)!

They are two separate applications so they are not sharing this data.

PS: It is suggested to keep data isolated, and even isolated accounts are advocated. Remember this is beta software, so being circumspect and safe is prudent.

Use the same mechanism as DT2, Option key Help > Report Bug. Include info about if this is consistently reproducible and with other EPUB files.

1 Like

Option Key :wink: Always forget that :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, Unicode PDF still shows as no text…

BTW, Unicode PDF still shows as no text…

Not sure what you’re referring to here, but please start a separate ticket for this. Thanks.

Is there a comparison between the Regular version and the Pro version? It seems you have only posted a comparison between Pro and Server. I’m upgrading from 2.0 Pro, so it’d be good to know whether it’s worth for me upgrading to a higher tier.

We have discussed this before here.

I refer to this: PDF with no text but have text

I know what the problematic is, but there are a lot of PDF Viewers in macOS that resolves it.

Those other PDF viewers likely aren’t using Apple’s PDFKit.

Yes, but that is my question. Why you don’t switch to another PDF SDK and forgets the buggy Apple one?

This is not a trivial thing to do. And it also would add to the cost since the framework would have to be licensed. These are not simple and obvious issues to answer.

Ok.

BTW, like a lot the new interface (a lot of more real estate) and the option of “stricter recognition of duplicates”.

Glad to hear it. Lots of hard thinking and decision-making went into it.

The only difference between Server and Pro is the web server? I understand that from the Blog and other documentation, but not sure.

1 Like

Pro vs server comparison.

I’m pretty excited that Pro is going to include the ABBYY OCR engine, currently I’m using the bundled copy that came with my Fujitsu scanner, having it built in to DEVONthink will make life easier dealing with random PDFs that don’t start out as paper.

OK so I re-read the wording of the comparison page and realized that everything listed on that page is exclusive to Pro/Server editions. Also, those “premium” features are identified by a blue star on relevant menu items. Is my understanding right?

That being said, I’d still suggest providing a clearer statement of differences between all three editions. Also, I feel a little strange that some features available in 2.0 Pro, e.g. Download Manager, are no longer available in its successor (i.e. 3.0 Regular). Do we need to pay more to preserve certain features that we have paid for?

First off, I just want to say that so far I really like the update and appreciate all the work that went into it.

With that said, I just want to bring up what seems to be change in viewing options that changes my workflow (unless I am missing something and that certainly is possible).

In DTPO 2 I live in the 3 Pane view with the widescreen option. There doesn’t seem to be the 3 Pane view option in DTP 3. It basically looks like some of the functionality of the second column (displaying the folder structure) was basically merged into the the first column by now being able to drill down the folder structure in open databases.

However, what seems to be missing is the ability to select multiple folders and have all the files contained in the selected folders display in the third column. In DTPO 2 the 3 Pane view with widescreen enabled there was a nice segregation between open databases (column 1), just the folder structure (column 2), the files contained in each folder (column 3), and the selected document itself (column 4).

The functionality of being able to select multiple folders in column 2 and have all the enclosed files displayed in column 3 was great and I used it everyday.

Now, with widescreen enabled, column one has the folder structure (but multiple folders cannot be selected, column 2 has a mix of both folders and files when viewed as a list (which looks cluttered when expanded), and column 3 has the selected document itself.

Am I missing something? Was this design change intentional, or is it just missing currently from the beta?

That’s correct. It’s meant for using in teams where not everyone needs to run DEVONthink on a Mac.

Yes, that’s correct.

We didn’t want to make the Editions comparison page an endless list of features that are in all three editions. Therefore we just listed the differences.

And yes, we have rearranged the features so that some ended up in the new Pro edition.

I know you aren’t going to please everyone… But that is a huge price increase for the web server capabilities that already exist in DT2. Even with the upgrade discount it is still $399. I don’t work on a team, but rely on the web server when I am at work with my windows computer. You just priced me out of that capability.

1 Like

See also & Classify dramatically slow on changing from one document to next one and on move to (Ctrl-C). Sometimes order of two minutes when DT2 in same db is about one second… Is this known?

Same happens on right click, it takes about 30 or 60 seconds to open context menu on each item…

Ok, I think I’ve found why this is so slow. Now “See also & Classify” looks in all open database, not the only where the inbox is… Nice to have but quite slow when you have more than 10 well populated databases… For me, that slow speed is a blocker.