Best way to share a Family Database like Evernote Sharing

Hello,

Just purchased the DT3. I want to have all my databases (personal, business, work) in my iCloud sync. What is the best way to have a Family database that I can share and colloborate with my wife? Do I use a Dropbox database and login on her phones as well? Is there a better way? Now I am second guessing my decision to converting from Evernote to DT3…Thank you…

1 Like

You have two options:

1. You could (as you suggest) install Devonthink to Go on her IOS devices and have her access the family database that way. If the security of your other databases is a possible issue, you’d want to think about how to handle that - maybe separate sync locations?
  2. You could pay the extra for Devonthink Server (which is designed for this kind of purpose) which would enable her to access via. web. browser, but is (obviously) much more expensive.

Does the Devonthink server run on my machine? I do have a Synology Server that I can run a Webdev server. Is that an option/preferred method?

Close. In DT3 you can set up a sync through Dropbox, in addition to your primary one on iCloud, and put database(s) to share with your wife on that sync store.
DT3 syncs through the Dropbox account, but the files are not seen in Dropbox as if you were using your Dropbox folder. The DB is synced to her computer and/or iOS devices.

The Sync section of DT3 Help has a good explanation of the various options and how to set them up.

Yes. It replaces the version of DT3 you now have, it is not a separate application, but I’m not sure you need it for what you describe.

That is also an option for a sync store; it’s what I use, although in my case it is not visible outside my LAN.

Yes - when you buy the upgrade, you get a new licence key that unlocks it on your existing DT installation.

I use my own WebDav server for my DT sync store for a little bit of extra security.

Close. In DT3 you can set up a sync through Dropbox, in addition to your primary one on iCloud, and put database(s) to share with your wife on that sync store.
DT3 syncs through the Dropbox account, but the files are not seen in Dropbox as if you were using your Dropbox folder. The DB is synced to her computer and/or iOS devices.

@wmc’s reply is good. But I will amend that it must be a shared Dropbox account, i.e., using the same login credentials for the account. Dropbox’s API doesn’t allow cross-account syncing, sharing the Apps folder, and only allows our sync engine to connect to one Dropbox account at a time.

Hopefully this would be possible someday.

1. A database that anyone can open(sharable on iCloud) if the other person also owns DevonThink.

2. Have an option to “lock” folders(no one can see it unless they know the password)

2 Likes

Just as a possible solution to this… you could set up the WebDav on the Synology and use it to share that particular database for your wife. Her devices would connect to that sync location, while you can still use the other sync locations for all of your other databases (including the one shared with your wife).

Hi all, I’m a super newbie here and sorry to piggyback onto this thread, but I am also considering sync options.

I’d need to sync between 3 macs and 2 iPhones all in different locations (work, home etc.).

Unfortunately as 1/2 the devices are my wife’s iCloud doesn’t seem to be an option. So I’m left weighing up Dropbox (which I personally don’t like bcz of privacy issues) or buying a Synology and going the whole self-hosted route. Another option could be OwnCloud / NextCloud but I’m also concerned about E2EE with these… sigh - much more complicated than I was expecting.

@mkilci - what did you end up going with and how is it working out for you so far?

I would not be worried about privacy issues with Dropbox, especially if you’re using an encryption key. See this from the built-in **Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync ** section…

hmmm… so if I open the Dropbox folder that contains the DevoThink sync, what would I see there? A bunch of encrypted files (provided I have selected encryption)? What would I see if I didn’t select encryption?

Also, would you recommend Dropbox over other WebDav sync services?

If someone was rooting around in your Dropbox, they’d end up with something like this…

Bearing in mind, that may only be a piece of a file, not the whole file.
If there was plain text content in the file, some of it may appear if someone employed tools for the job. If it was also encrypted, they’d have a chunk of a file fill of gibberish.

We don’t recomment any specific services, especially as there is nothing that’s guaranteed. However,

You can’t sync across Dropbox accounts, nor does their API let our sync engine connect to more than one Dropbox account, but it’s generally a solid performer.

Thanks for the clarification! Also I don’t have a Dropbox account at the moment (I use Tresorit) so signing up for a single account just for Devonthink is the route I’d go.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I have to admit I am a bit confused (normal at my age :slight_smile:

Here is our situation: we are retired and my wife and I share everything (hey, we’ve been married for 42 years, so no secrets here :wink:

1. We have a common Dropbox (sign in with the same email and user name so we see everything in dropbox.
    What we want to do is share a common DevonThink Database - this way we can have all our data at our fingertips both on our Mac’s, iPads & iPhones.

How exactly do we do this? SImilar to how we use dropbox already? (sign in with the same email and password?)

It is NOT critical that the DevonThink DB be updated in real time (like a multiuser DB) but once every few min or so (depending on internet speed) is completely acceptable.

Any help and/or walkthrough would be greatly appreciated!

Since you’re already sharing a Dropbox account’s credentials, it’s easy. (Actually, sync itself is simple and logical.)

If you’re not already using a Dropbox sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, just enable the Dropbox location. You will be asked to authenticate access to Dropbox, and you’ll allow it. Then enter a name, and an optional encryption key if desired, then enable whatever database(s) you want to sync with that location.

She will do the same in DEVONthink on her Mac. If she already has a copy of the same database, it will appear in the Local section of the Databases list in the Sync preferences and allow her to merge her copy with the sync data, which will propogate to your machine. If she doesn’t have the database, it will appear in the Remote section, and she can double-click to import it, saving it in the Databases folder in your Home directory.

DEVONthink To Go is a similar process, just done in the Settings > Sync: Locations: enabling the location, authenticating with the Dropbox mobile app, using the same sync store name (and encryption key, if specified when you first synced). Then just touch the sync location and flip the switch for any database you want to sync.

One note: On the Mac, if you’re using the Dropbox application, you should go into the Dropbox application’s Preferences > Sync > Selective Sync, press the Choose folders to sync. Make sure the Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync folder is unchecked.

PS: Check out the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync chapter for philosophy and methods of sync.

Thank you SO much for the detailed reply and setup walkthrough. It looks like everything worked as you described. Awesome!

SO, though, just to be clear, each of us will host a copy of the shared DEVONThink database on our laptops, and that copy will periodically synchronize with the copy stored on Dropbox?

One other question; I left the Sync setting to “Automatic” although I do not know what Automatic means in relation to every X minute. TIA!

You’re welcome!

SO, though, just to be clear, each of us will host a copy of the shared DEVONThink database on our laptops, and that copy will periodically synchronize with the copy stored on Dropbox?

Correct - though there is not a copy of the database stored in the sync location. it is raw, DEVONthink-specific sync data.

Automatic runs on an interval: Though it actually can vary, a general guide is it syncs approximately 30-45 seconds after a change is made, or around 4.5 minutes of idle time. This is a good balance between performance and limting network chattiness.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Wondering about importing emails into DEVONthink