Duplicates in an indexed folder

Hi,

In Devonthink 3, I’ve got an indexed folder that has started showing a duplicate for every item in the folder (primarily PDFs, but also some Word and other files). Any thoughts on how to remove the duplicates? I’m reluctant just to remove and add the indexed folder from the DT database, as I have tagged quite a few of the items.

I found this: Indexed files are duplicated which suggested that it would be due to “Duplicate documents” in the sync preferences. So I changed it to “Use latest document” and did a Sync but to no avail.

Christian just helped me with a similar issue.

As far as removing the duplicates, there is a command in the scripts menu in the data section “move duplicates to trash” or words to that effect. You’ll need to select entries in a group, then run the command. Non-duplicates will be left in place.

As far as removing the duplicates, there is a command in the scripts menu in the data section “move duplicates to trash” or words to that effect. You’ll need to select entries in a group, then run the command. Non-duplicates will be left in place.

And the more recent file should be the one that’s preserved, so if you had file A and duplicated it. The second file would be preserved if you selected them both and ran the script.

Well I had duplicate files for an indexed folder and the cause certainly was not CloudStation. At one stage when I removed duplicates they became missing files. Fortunately this did not involve huge numbers of files and I have painstakingly tidied this up and all seems well know but I am keeping a close eye on file counts to see that these seem to be in line with expectation.

With missing files it would be great to have these listed in a smart group, rather than opening the log.

I have experimented with indexing on DT3 and this testing suggest this is a very robust; so I seem to have bumbled into some problems not entirely clear to me. Anyway back on track & so far so good.

I should have said - that script worked, thanks. And I’ve now told DT3 to use the latest copy. All seems good, and thanks for the help!

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: