Initialization–Database couldn’t be created!

Hi, Devonthink Pro Office (version 3.0.4) just crashed and now I can’t open some of my databases. This is a crisis.

I had multiple databases open when DT crashed. Upon restart the dtBase2 databases open fine (beyond the “already in use message”). The two dtSparse databases, however, I can’t open. The error messages I get is first “already in use message” and then " “Initialization–Database couldn’t be created”. Both types of databases are stored in the same folder on my HD (not a synced or networked folder). All databases are set to sync via iCloud (if that is relevant).

This is a known issue that will be fixed by the next release. In the meantime this should work:

1. Change the extension from dtSparse to sparseimage
  2. Mount the database in the Finder by double-clicking on it
  3. On the mounted volume select the dtBase2 database package and choose “Show Package Contents” in the Finder’s contextual menu
  4. Remove the file DEVONthink.lock
  5. Unmount the volume and change the extension back to the original one

Hurray, it worked. Thank you very much. Back to work for me.

Hey Christian, I was having the same issue around here. Have you ever considered maintaining a list (or topic here in the forum) with known issues and possible workarounds?

This will be addressed in the next maintenance release.

What exactly? The keeping of a list of known issues?

Haha… no the issue reported in this thread.

I had seen that already :wink:
My suggestion was keeping a list somewhere so the same issue wouldn’t get reported twice or so that one would know where to go to find a possible workaround.

Same issue, however the posted workaround did not work. Now Devonthink doesn’t do anything when trying to open the database.

Got the same issue, wasted some time before finding the thread. Deleting the file didn’t help.

I can connect the database if I use dtBase2 file in mounted storage, but not if it’s file on disk.

Are any errors logged to Windows > Log or is an alert displayed? Does a reboot of the machine fix this?

I am on Mac. No alerts except the message stated in subject of this thread. Still the same after few reboots of Mac

Even after deleting the DEVONthink.lock file? Is there still enough disk space available on the encrypted sparse image?

Yes, deleting the file didn’t help. There is no file anymore. Not sure how to check disk space on encrypted storage.

After performing these actions you could check the available disk space of the volume in the Finder.

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 18.24.18

Thank you. Seems to be enough

That’s definitely weird. The next release will include a fix but I’m not sure if it will fix your issue too as it seems to be slightly different. If you’re interested in a beta just send me an email.

@cgrunenberg
I followed all the above instructions, and I got this error:

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Edit it just started working, so not sure what happened!

:+1:

Jim, following a power failure today, the five databases (dtSparse) previously open showed the error message described by the OP. The solution posted by @cgrunenberg only partly worked. I was able to open each database individually, but whenever I tried to open a further database the error reappeared (without the lock file being present any longer). I opened each database individually and then closed it, hoping to solve the problem, but that didn’t help. The workaround was to:

• close DT3
  • open database 1 (db1) by double clicking in the finder; enter password for db1 in DT3 when asked
  • close DT3 without closing the database first
  • open db2 by double clicking in the finder; enter the password for db1 and then db2 in DT3 when asked
  • close DT3 without closing the databases first
  • open db3 by double clicking in the finder; enter the password for db1 and then db2 and then db3 in DT3 when asked
  • open db4 by double clicking in the finder; enter the password for db1 and then db2 and then db3 and then db4 in DT3 when asked
  • open db5 by double clicking in the finder; enter the password for db1 and then db2 and then db3 and then db4 and then db5 in DT3 when asked

My passwords are so long that I don’t really want to close all databases now and then see if things work normally. Is this behaviour “expected” and part of the known issue (which will be solved with the next maintenance release, which I’m really really yearning for) or is this something else? Cheers for you assistance :slight_smile: